iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ground Strip

Started by Cazzhrdwd, February 12, 2016, 08:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cazzhrdwd

Anyone know an easy way to bypass the grounding strip on a 1996 LT40 diesel? I'd like to use my hydraulics when the head is at the other end.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

WV Sawmiller

There are several threads on this. I know @Seaman added an extra battery hooked to the hydraulics. Maybe he can chime in with the link and/or pix.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

Pair of regular old jumper cables and another battery. Jump the positive post on the extra battery to the copper power strip on the side of the frame rail.  Neg side to the sawmill frame..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cazzhrdwd

When the saw head is back on the copper strip would that keep the extra battery charged?

pineywoods

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on February 12, 2016, 09:02:38 PM
When the saw head is back on the copper strip would that keep the extra battery charged?
In theory, yes, it would help but don't bet the farm on it. Trickle charger at night..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ga Mtn Man

How much are you wanting to use the hydraulics with the head off the strip?  I have the second battery on my mill and it works great but I only use the hydraulics occasionally when off the power strip.  You would need an alternate charging method (see Bandmill Bandit's setup) if you want to run them a lot when off the strip.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Nomad

Why not add another power strip to the far end of the mill?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ga Mtn Man

If he just wants to be able to run them when at the far end (which is what he said he wanted) then yes that would be the simplest and cheapest solution. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ga Mtn Man

Cazzhrdwd,  the copper strip is +12V, not ground.  Probably best if you don't get them crossed up. :)

Dave Shepard

If you only need it at the far end, then another strip would be best. It would eliminate an extra battery and the hassle of maintaining it and having to deal with it if you move the mill very often. The LT70 has an additional strip at the far end, it may not be hard to adapt one of those to your mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Cazzhrdwd

I don't move the mill anymore. The reason i want to get rid of the strip is to have one less thing to maintain! I constantly have to clean the strip, heaven forbid get any oil on it. Ground issues, its just a PITA. I need to get rid of this diesel and get the electric motor. Which of course still has the alternator, but looks like I could put a battery on it with a charger and not have the alternator issues.

Thank You Sponsors!