iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making myself a cant hook.

Started by Satamax, June 10, 2019, 07:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Well, i have the angles etc right now i think. 

But the rebar  ils too soft. 

What do you reckon? Weld another piece of rebar behind?  Get something cut out of plate? Cut it myself with my plasma? Cut something the same shape as the rebar; out of plate, and weld to the rebar?

Abandon the idea altogether? 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

btulloh

Rebar is useless for that.  Way too soft. You need something with carbon that can be hardened.  Tough to get the the right steel and the right geometry, but I applaud your efforts and wish you luck.  

If all else fails: Logrite.  Over here, Stihl dealers sell Logrites painted orange.  Don't know about over there. 
HM126

btulloh

The price of a failure can be serious injury or worse.  Be careful.  Or better yet, buy a Logrite.
HM126

Resonator

I recommend getting a professional cant hook. One of the best tools I've bought, I don't saw lumber without it.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Don P

Uhh, yeah. Broke my 5' fat wooden handled cant hook yesterday. I'm still finding places I hit on the way down. There is a lot of coiled up energy in turning a big log. The 60" logrite is on the way.

barbender

Honestly, I'd try to get ahold of a Logrite if you can. Over here, you can find all kinds of old peaveys and cant hooks at flea markets and such, due to or not so distant large scale lumbering past. I don't how things are in Europe in that regard. You could cut one out of the appropriate plate (I'm pretty sure that's what Logrite does) but the cost of failure can be high!
Too many irons in the fire

Satamax

Thanks guys. 

Well, i can't even imagine what a logrite would cost here. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Southside

I suspect it will be cheaper than a broken bone or two. Send them an email and ask! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I was hoping that Wood-Mizer/France would have them listed, but nope;  Wood-Mizer/France
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

The closest I found was the logrite distributor in the UK, found HERE. the prices seem to be really close to what we pay here, but do not include VAT and shipping. Hope that gets you closer.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys. 

Well, i have rolled a few times a log on the sawmill bed with my uggly duckling. I have modified the hook angle. And tempered the last bend and pointy bit. Seems to be all right so far. I have some 3/8th plate. Big enough to reproduce my hook and beef it up. Most certainly what will happen. 

Well, i can't seem myself spending 150€ on a cant hook, when i need badly to replace my truck. 

Thanks to you all. 

WV Sawmiller

Due to your location I'd suggest cutting it out of plate. Logrite is best but being in France adds a significant degree of difficulty and cost. You might contact LogRite and see if they can send you just the hook and you can put it on your handle. That would save you some shipping cost.Good luck. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dana Stanley

I cut a hook for one of my cant hooks out of 1/4" t-1 steel (high carbon) that works good, I also bought a Logrite, but the one I made is ok. I have a smaller peavey I made with round bar and use that alot for smaller stuff.

Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

zimraphail

If you can find a piece of leaf spring and have a forge as I do ! Now your talking! Rebar is actually fairly hard and I would think heavy 3/4 or so rebar may work? Flat stock seems better to me?  I Puchased a Timber tuff cant hook at my local Rural king so cheap not worth effort to make one? Just my thoughts

YellowHammer

If couldn't get a Logrite, I'd try making one of my own, as you are. However, I'd find a flat piece of hardenable steel, as mentioned a piece of leaf spring or similar.  Or I'd find a local blacksmith and have them forge out a custom job.  That would be cool.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

red

I can remember hearing that LogRite has shipped to every continent except Antarctica.   
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Dana Stanley

You can also buy the hook from Logrite, and just use your handle. https://logrite.com/store/Item/replacement-hooks
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

welderskelter

Built mine out of a pipe and an old lug wrench. Works good for me. And as cheap as they are you can build as many as you like. Harold

Tam-i-am

Satamax

Just in case you change your mind:

The closest I have to you would be Germany.  We make Gedore's  Ochsenkopf turning hook.  It is the equivalent to the Extreme duty 60" cant hook we sell here in the states.

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

LoneDuck

I found the hooks for these that I made on Ebay.  They had a lot of hooks from old peaveys for a decent price.

Satamax

Quote from: Tam-i-am on June 14, 2019, 10:29:45 AM
Satamax

Just in case you change your mind:

The closest I have to you would be Germany.  We make Gedore's  Ochsenkopf turning hook.  It is the equivalent to the Extreme duty 60" cant hook we sell here in the states.

Tammy
Thanks Tammy.
I've seen it. Well, not in my league pricewise. I've been eyeing Stubaï stuff, which is cheaper.

Mind you, when turning logs which are way too heavy, i have this. 

Thank You Sponsors!