iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arches

Started by Indiana Robinson, June 13, 2012, 04:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Robinson

I am planning to build a log arch and have been looking at a lot of them on-line. My favorite so far is the design of this one at the bottom of this page:
http://www.mistersawmill.com/lumberjack.htm
I might want a touch more ground clearance. I do like the ability to get a decent sized log completely off of the ground at both ends. I already have one of those trailer dollies like they show with it.
I have a couple of farm grain augers (a 36' and a 48') each with a nice winch and the chassis of the smaller one is just begging to be cut up and made into a log arch.  :) :) :)
It is this sort of thing for the unfamiliar. Not a picture of mine but similar.

Anybody have a favorite type or special feature they like extra well?

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

Delawhere Jack

At first sight I thought that was a Punkin' Chunker!  :D

macpower

I ran with an arch and an atv for a while when I was between tractors. It's amazing what can be done with one. It's slow and steady but it can be very easy on the land if you think it out first.
What I would look for is stability first,track width, flotation type tires, etc. I would want to be sure that the tongue/hitch can swivel a good bit, if you roll the arch, (and you likely will at some point), the tow vehicle will follow unless it is a good bit heavier than the log or the tongue can rotate. A ball hitch may not be able to roll enough.
It doesn't take much of a winch when you can back over the log, but a good set of tongs are easier than trying to set a choker just right.
Oh, you can not back up a log on an arch. Just believe me on this....
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

moandrich

This the arch we built, I have since added a 3000lb electric winch and log tongs.  Also have a pulley for tongs to double the pulling power for big stuff.  Works great.

woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

losttheplot

However strong you think you need it, build it stronger !

If I had built mine a little wider, between the wheels, I could have backed the arch over the bed of the mill.
It would have been handy for moving heavy timbers off the mill, since I dont have machinery to do so.
I think someone on here uses their arch to carry their mill.

I mounted a trailer winch on one of the vertical posts.
Pass the wire under the log and hook it on the cross bar.
This allows the log to be lifted to the top of the arch.

Its not too hard to guesstimate the center of gravity.
I try to bias it to the rear, then the front of the log comes up between the two forward  sloping braces and does not swing around.
If the log is butt heavy a loop of rope holds it in place.

Once you've  judged the center of gravity,  stick a peevey in the log and back up the arch until it hits the peevey.
It saves getting in and out of the truck a couple of times  ;)
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Sixacresand

The tongs lock into the log and you don't have dig under or roll the log to run a chain or cable under it.  My winch is a handcranked type which lifts most of the stuff available to me.  I have a chain come-along for bigger stuff.   I plan install another winch, sheave and tongs to the front of my arch.  I hate bending over or getting down on my hands and knees with my bad back.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Jemclimber

I made mine tall enough and wide enough to completely pick up a log and back it up over and onto the mill.  Also tall enough to load the big ones onto a trailer.  The main beam is right about 6' tall. I also made a 4:1 block after the winch for picking up logs in the over 5000lb range. I had to add a higher attachment to account for the block. My daughter can crank the smaller 24" x 10' logs up.  Tongs are a very good idea as well.

lt15

Indiana Robinson

How many of you use one of these. I have a very old one but it is not used often since my wife does not have anybody to hold the other handle.   :D :D :D :D :D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.

Indiana Robinson

I have a number of these. I hear some folks on-line call them a "wagon Chassis" but in this part of the Midwest I have only heard them called a "wagon gear". I used to have a lot of small hopper wagons and 2 mid-sized ones. I never farmed big enough to justify one of the new huge ones.  :)
I have 3 still under hopper beds and 2 under flat bed hay wagons. I also have 5 just sitting bare much like the one in the picture (not my wagon gear but very similar).
I plan to use some of these for a place to temporarily stack lumber so I can move it around or back it in a barn. I also expect to use a couple to haul some logs home.
Does anyone here use these? Most of mine are classed as 4 to 6 ton gears and would be used at fairly slow speeds, maybe 25 - 30 MPH for maybe 12 miles. I have one that is classed as 10 ton.

I have seen the term "bibby horses" used here but I am unfamiliar with the name. Apparently Google is too.  :)
How about a picture and definition?

Thanks

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.

reride82

IR,
here is the link to Bibby's horses. There are about a dozen in my future as well.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,57480.msg834653.html#msg834653
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: reride82 on June 15, 2012, 11:30:30 AM
IR,
here is the link to Bibby's horses. There are about a dozen in my future as well.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,57480.msg834653.html#msg834653

Aaaaha! Now I understand...
Thanks
Look very good.

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Slingshot

Indiana Robinson:
                          I have one of those wagon gears that I use for moving slabs
      around on. Handy outfit;

thecfarm

It even dumps! That much better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KyTreeFarmer

Looks a lot like "my" log truck.
KTF

Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Lud

Old pic but stradles my manual mill.

It was an old transport disc of 4" tube.  I like having the heighth to clear the mill.  Length can be some fun in the woods......but you can usually drag 'em out and haul right to the mill, drop them and cut them. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

shelbycharger400

anyone drive down the hiway with one?
its it considered "legal" ?

Thank You Sponsors!