iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash?

Started by sum1, January 06, 2021, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sum1

I grew up in an area with no ash trees so I'm not sure how to identify them.

Pictures are from Manitoba Canada. I'm thinking it's an ash tree of some sort? 

What's an easy way to identify black poplar(cottonwood) from ash in the winner time the bark kind of looks the same to me.

SwampDonkey

That is a willow, I see willow leaves. Long slender, pointy. :)

Balm-of-Gilead, Balsam Poplar have sticky buds, that have an aromatic resin. Branch tips are very flexible and bend easy. Alternate branching. Twigs round in cross section. Leaves ovate shape base up to a pointed tip. Smooth grey-green bark young, becoming orange and furrowed at old age.

eastern cottonwood have slightly sticky buds, twigs not round in cross section. Triangular shape leaves. Grey bark young become deeply furrowed.

Ash have blunt terminal buds with 2 large leaf scars below, branch tips are stout and stiff. Opposite branching and open. Compound leaf with many leaflets up the main axis, with terminal leaflet. Brown bark, becoming rough at a young age.

One of my most cherished books.

Native Trees of Canada
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firefighter ontheside

My thought was willow when I looked at the bark.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

Most our willow up around here are the size of small alders. Bark gets rough, but not big enough to get deep furrows. You get one once in awhile the size of small aspen, but no bark that rough, but same pattern to the bark though. The moose destroy them, quite literally before they can get very big. They will ruin an entire grove, breaking them in half. Young moose I think need it if I recall.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mmtrees

Salix alba 'Tristis' - Weeping Golden Willow?

Thank You Sponsors!