iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold weather clothing

Started by Larry, January 08, 2010, 01:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

I checked the brand names on the extreme cold weather gear.  Like some of the other guys, I agree with moving away from cotton for extended periods in extreme cold.  Especially if there is any chance you will fall in water or otherwise get wet.

Last year, I bought a pair of "high-falutin" long johns.  They are made by IceBreaker and are 100% merino wool.  Wasn't sure if it was just hype but let me tell you, they work well.  Takes a bit of getting used to, as it actually made my skin feel a bit cooler at first but when you are working, it regulates your temperature very well.  And any wool will be much better than cotton if you've gotten wet from falling in water or even from just sweat.  For extreme conditions, cotton is considered a killer.

The heavy duty parka and bib I have is made by some company called SnoHawk.  They may not be around anymore.  These things are very thick and stuffed with a lot of goose down.  I can't wear them unless it is colder than -40, otherwise I sweat too much.  These are the old style of parkas that the Alyeska pipeline guys were forced to buy and wear while working on the pipeline back in the day.  I consider myself lucky to have gotten these from a friend at a good price when he retired them.  They are usually very expensive.

SwampDonkey

The wool I use is Lane wool, it's heavier wool than the merino, which I find to be thin. Stanfield's make the merino in cream white and the heavy lane wool is gray, same with the wool pants, lane wool and heavier knit than the long johns. Some people can't take the heavier lane wool, they itch. I love it. I've never been able to wear the stuff out.  8) The best pair of wool pants I bought was in Hyder, Alaska...$20 to, army surplus I think at the outpost there. They looked like Canadian Army issue from WWII. :) It's beside Stewart, BC. My Winnipeg pants are a bit heavier still and my brother got those I think.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I just checked and the Hyder ones where Woolrich, but made in Mexico. The Winnipeg ones where Johnson's Woolen mills in Vermont. The Johnson ones are better quality, but the Hyder ones are nice to. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

Long underwear (cuddle duds  :) ) at all times is required from about November through March. Around the farm the Carhart bibs over sweat pants and a hooded sweatshirt (if above -20 F), or over jeans  with a heavy jacket if below -20F. My gloves are thick fleece-lined leather if I am working....mittens if I am playing.

If I am going to town and it is below -20F I break out the long fur coat (coyote to the ankles); however even at -20F that coat is almost too warm. Last year I wore it to do chores. My chickens went ballistic when they saw the gigantic coyote coming into their pen!  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

fuzzybear

Military Green thermal underwear, Heavy denim jeans, hoodie, wool socks, Sorell boots w/-100 liners, Tough Duck  Heavy Denim thinsulate bibs and jacket,  Moose hide "Mountie" cap, Double moose hide mitts.     Good to -58    ;D ;D ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

wampum

Our local tractor supply has Carhart lined jeans on sale for 1/2 off. They were $48.00,now $24.00. If you need them and they have your size its a good deal. I just do not know if your local has them.

OneWithWood

Like most I opt for the layered look.

The most important piece of cold weather gear that has the most payback for me is a balaclava. Fits well under the hard hat.   After that it is good gloves.  When cutting I wear a pair of kevlar gloves under a good pair of leather gloves and as long as I am active my hands stay warm.  Of course good thermal socks in good breathable high ankle safety toed boots are a must.  I avoid steel toes, opting for lighter weight fiberglass/kevlar units.

If I take a break for lunch or any other extended rest I change to a dry set of clothes.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pappy

Quote from: sprucebunny on January 09, 2010, 12:03:03 AMStill hunting for just the right winter gloves.

Joan,
My wife has trouble with cold hands and is a huge fan of these silk gloves inside what ever glove she's using,, and the price is right...  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-china-silk-clothing-.aspx?a=40252 A friend of mine won't use anything but Kinco Cold Weather Pigskin Work Gloves,, he claims they last forever http://www.amazon.com/Kinco-Weather-Pigskin-Gloves-Large/dp/B0026KXR0C 

My brother and his boys really like the Muck boots too,,, I'm gonna have to break down and get me a pair I guess   :)   I've been using the Baffin rubber boots with the L.L. Bean hunting shoe liner ( kinda like a Dr Scholl insert) inside for extra insulation from the ground with a pair of the heavy Merino wool socks ... 
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/baffin-minus-40degf-swamp-boots.aspx?a=467770

I really like the fleece wear too ,, but I also wear a polly tee shirt underneath,, gets the sweat off ya skin, Under Armor stuff is to pricey for me  :o    and a big Wear Guard top coat.. A fleece neck warmer with a ball cap and a rabbit hat to top off the head... 

For pants I like insulated Carharts with a Gortex shell pant on top or when it's really cold I got a pair of water proof Microfleece bibs...

I  also like to dress in layers cause I can always remove a layer when the heat starts to get to me, then when I starts to cool down the layers go back on...  8)

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Ironwood

Gloves were mentioned as an issue. If they suit your work (many they may not) I try to find a good pair of two part gloves. Inner pile liner, outer nylon with synthetic palm. The major brand is OR (Outdoor Research), although there are other brands out there making this type glove. You can pick mittens, three finger or full finger in the OR brand. The liner can be dried over time by placing them under your jacket on top of your shoulder. Mountaineers and ice climbers tend to have REALLY good glove selections. Two part boots are great for the same reason, remove the liner and helps dry it out quicker.

I do some mid winter auctions, and for standing around in the COLD COLD, I bought a Carhart Extreme coverall. They are the black Cordura ones, WOW is it nice for inactive use.

Can anyone tell me where to find REALLY good liners for my 11" (read tall) LaCrosse boots. I bought 8 pairs at Gander Mtn many years ago and I am now having to replace liners in my "fleet" ::)

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

You mean felt liners? I can't really tell ya where to get'm but shoe stores that sell your boots can get them if you order them I believe. I used to get those rubber boot liners for my Nokia rubbers, whole foot and up the shin.

Ironwood

Yeah, full liners. I want really good ones, wool, felt, or sythetic, whatever is the thickest and the most durable. I have been underwelmed by the "average" ones out there. Any leads online to REALLY nice ones.?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

I just got two new pairs of pants last week.  One was Wrangler 100 gr. Thinsulate jeans.  The other was Cabela's 200 gr. Thinsulate. 

I know that we don't get that Zeroo and below stuff, but for below freezing weather, I did good...... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodsteach

I like the silk longjohn pants and long sleeve shirts then flannel shirt, Filson wool vest, carhart insulated bibs then sweatshirt. Filson wool hat w/storm flaps!

My toes are always cold, I think b/c my feet sweat too much... I've tried silk socks then cabelas wool socks,  wool socks w/o the liners, mid weight socks, heavy weight socks and yep even light weight socks. So maybe its the boots, I like my whites smokejumpers b/c I cant seem to run a chainsaw wearing mucks, yes I know the smokejumpers don't offer any more protection but in my head they do ::).

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SwampDonkey

Cabela's has a Gortex Thinsulate sock for boots, you can turn them inside out to dry if they get damp. I have a pair from when I was on the west coast, couldn't wear them out. It wasn't that cold out there like back east though. I wear wool socks year round, the Wigwam brand that comes from the US. We can get them here and they also sell them in most shoe and men's and sportswear stores in Maine.

Dave Shepard

I wear a Carhartt T down into the 50s, then I wear a Carhartt hooded T. That's usually about it, unless I'm going to be out in the low teens or colder for extended periods of time, then I have a Carhartt vest. Haven't owned a coat in 20 years. I wear uninsulated Redwings down into the 40s, then I have a pair of Rocky Snowstalker Extremes. Most of the snow makers at the ski area wear them, and they are great. I wear work gloves too, but don't own a hat.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

des170stihl

Here in North Carolina in can be 20 deg. in the morning and by noon it,s 50 deg.. So you have to start in layers and as the day progress start peeling them off. By 2:00 PM your down to your shirt sleves.
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

Magicman

I keep an extra shirt, vest, windbreaker, and heavy coat in the truck.

In the Summer, I carry two extra T shirts.  I change to a dry one at lunch, and another before driving home.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I change out clothes in the summer after work to, it's always raining here. Feel like a new man with dry clothes to ride home in. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!