iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I just got home with a 2011 LT35HD - I need your counsel on how to succeed.

Started by MikeySP, January 30, 2019, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

On your drive belt tension, DO NOT exceed the specs or you will break the crank on your Kohler. Set property that tension is plenty adequate for anything you have torque enough to saw. The bigger mills have a triple belt and a secondary crank support bearing to address the additional lateral torsion the engine experiences as a result. Before those support kits came out more than a few cranks were broken. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

No one can describe the proper sawing speed for you.  That is something that you will have to determine for yourself depending upon the log species, blade sharpness, engine speed/sound, and whatever else.  Don't try to make it happen, but rather let it happen.  Relax.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Quote from: Magicman on April 19, 2019, 05:43:12 PM
No one can describe the proper sawing speed for you.  That is something that you will have to determine for yourself depending upon the log species, blade sharpness, engine speed/sound, and whatever else.  Don't try to make it happen, but rather let it happen.  Relax.  :)

X2 on that.

Can you push an lt35 or does it have use the power feed?  Using a pushmill gives you a lot of feedback. I'd love to have powerfeed, but pushing my mill has taught me a lot about logs and knots. And backstops.

I'd also be glad to switch over to power feed and hydraulics now, but I'm convinced pushing is a good thing at first. 
HM126

WV Sawmiller

I have the power feed on my LT 35 but walk with it and you can feel when it wants to slow down or go faster and adjust accordingly. I don't know how those passengers riding up in the first class seats notice the difference. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

I have to agree about being able to feel the mill with power feed. I push lightly on the control console as I'm making a cut and can feel if the mill slows down or speeds up. Kinda like power brakes on your vehicle. You develop a feel for it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

btulloh

Seems like the bottom line is "develop a feel for it".  Push or power feed or whatever.  Saw logs and let it happen.

I like to saw junky stuff into dunnage.  SYP tops with a lot of knots is good practice because the knots are so much harder than the wood.  Can't ever have too much dunnage.  Seems like I've learned more from funky logs than from perfect logs.  

Grasshopper is doing well and also built a nice debarker.  Did you put a flashing light or a backup alarm on your debarker?
HM126

YellowHammer

In the classic style Ku Fu/Yoda approach of asking questions to develop answers about sawing speed....

How do you know when your car is driving uphill?  How do you know when you are going down a hill?  How do you know when your lawn mower is going through deep grass?  How do you know when your weed eater hits a pile of fresh dog poop?  

It's all about feel.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 20, 2019, 09:03:36 AMHow do you know when your weed eater hits a pile of fresh dog poop?

Hammer - you seem to have issues with poop around your place.  First the board, now the weed eater....:D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Its probably elephant poo from all those pink pachyderms he roots for. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Animal residue is common here at the farm. We got rid of our chickens because they liked to roost on the boards and leave presents for the customers. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

btulloh

81% of all topics get around to this subject eventually.  
:D :D :D
HM126

WV Sawmiller

B,

I think I read somewhere 86% of all statistical figures are just made up on the spot. :D
Howard Green

btulloh

I expect you're right about that.

And the remainder are based on inaccurate data.

But avoiding round numbers make them more believable.
HM126

MikeySP

Excellent. Thank you gents. I will see if I can feel the slowing down and keep an eye out on results as I saw. 

Btulloh, I am adding the following to the debarker: 

• Warning light. Have it.
  • Debris shield (black rubber like material) - not sure what it is called, need to identify that material. Sort of a thin conveyor belt rubber, sort of stiff. ?
  • Powered in/out mechanism for swing arm vs the lever mechanism I have now... if putting a smaller sprocket does not give me FULL swing arm movement without having to slip the chain when I change from smaller log to large log diameters. Maybe move my connection point away from the pivot point on the handle also would give me some more movement of the swing arm as I pull lever. 

YH, your point is well taken. When one is taking in so much info, it can be hard to think clearly at times. Confidence will come with competence. 

-Mike

Southside

Quote from: btulloh on April 20, 2019, 04:50:41 PM
I expect you're right about that.

And the remainder are based on inaccurate data.

But avoiding round numbers make them more believable.
Don't forget to add "studies show" to increase varasity.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: btulloh on April 20, 2019, 04:14:43 PM
Its what happens if you're not quick enough to talk about food.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

btulloh

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 20, 2019, 05:56:40 PM
Quote from: btulloh on April 20, 2019, 04:14:43 PM
Its what happens if you're not quick enough to talk about food.  :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D
HM126

btulloh

Mike, you're quite the fabricator and getting up to speed pretty quick on that sawing thing.  It's been fun watching your thread and I'm looking forward to your future posts.  Maybe you can work some food references in at some point. 

I'm anxious to see your improvements on the debarker.  I vote the flashing light, by the way.  Seems like a good idea to have some attention getter on the thing, but who would want all that beeping?  

Good luck and keep up the good work.
HM126

YellowHammer

I think with 99.87342% certainty MikeySP is getting the hang of this stuff.
YellowHammerisms:

woodweasel

MikeySP

Very good. 

Sawing shed question:

@WV Sawmiller I see your dimensions for your sawmilling shed barn is 3 Roughly 20' wide bays, 12' deep and 12'-15' high. Would you change any dimensions?

You other men with sawing sheds, do you have any recommendations on details, size?

-Mike

WV Sawmiller

I'd make it bigger if I had the room. I like the 20' bays and the 12'-15' height. I ended up building the shelves along each of the back, end and internal partition walls for extra, long term storage. I can only access mostly from the front. I'd love to be able to access with my tractor from both sides but that would require way more flat land than I have here and it would also require a peaked instead of a slanted roof. The peaked roof would not be difficult to make. I keep thinking about making a mirror image on the other side but that would restrict other access. 

I'd say any storage building needs to accommodate your needs but has to fit on available real estate. Good luck.
Howard Green

Southside

No matter how big you built it, it will be too small. If possible try to build with expansion in mind so you don't end up with a bunch of strange additions down the road. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

MikeySP

Howdy Gents. Friday morning I am going to saw up the larger of these Cedar into live edge siding. Do you have any advice for sawing Cedar as I have not done that before.

Thank you.

-Mike

doc henderson

as you can see, it tends to be lobulated at the butt of the log. the lobes will have bark inclusions and create a way for water to get in.  if it is for rustic go for it.  the heart wood is the rot resistant portion.  you can sorta plan the boards based on the plans if you have them or just get what you can and the builder can make it work.  I think 1/2 inch flat sawn is ok if you put a starter board to begin the angle.  but ewith live edge the variation and make it require more overlap.  if it is fresh sawn I would use a soap/lube solution with dawn and or pine-sol.  I have sawn a bunch dry as well.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!