iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

g_man

Small Scale CTL ?  Thinning produces pole sized fire wood.

gg  

thecfarm

Loading onto a small trailer,you can hardly tell you have been there. We use to bring out four foot wood like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Quote from: Ron Scott on September 07, 2019, 03:10:35 PM
This small independent logger has been in business for a number of years and has a waiting list of clients in the local area. He uses the simplest of equipment in his operations. Here is a short bunk woodhauler and loader on the landing of one of his current tree length hardwood timber harvests, 9/19.

Interesting, I have never seen a coe with a tri drive let alone that lift axle. The loader is a neat setup.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Puffergas

The 125E skidding tree length. After seeing the above dozer with a grapple I'm thinking about a log arch with a grapple. Looks like an old grapple is difficult to find.

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Skeans1

@Puffergas 
You might try Young Industries since Esco is pretty much out of business they were the two big players in building the grapple arches.

Puffergas

@Skeans1 

Did they or anybody make a trailer type log cart with a grapple? I don't want to attache it to the dozer just pin it to the hitch. On a budget so it would need to be 3/4 wore out.
Jeff

Skeans1

At one time wheel arches were used out here but they were the big boys nothing you'd pull with that size of cat. Isn't the whole point of a grapple not needing to exit the machine to set the grapple or in this case I'm imagining a cable grapple?

Puffergas

Might be able to run the controls from the seat of the cat. No winch on the cat.
Jeff

Skeans1

One issue I can for see is how will all that weight transfer on the hitch? Normally you don't want to use a grapple on a rear final or standard style final cat it applies all the weight onto the final when pulling a turn the best style is a track skidder where the final drive is the high drive style but centered.

Puffergas

I think the tongue of the cart would be lifting up on the cat hitch making the weight on the drive sprocket a bit less. Assuming the weight of the log was too the rear of the cart axle. I was thinking about using a truck axle or a trailer axle from a 40' trailer.
Jeff

g_man

This is a rig I saw in a logging museum near Klamath, OR. An old Cat 30 dozer, one of the earliest Cats, and log arch. Looks to me like the Cat had a winch and they got the log in tight over the arch tracks to keep the tongue weight fairly neutral.

gg

Ron Scott

Interesting unit. I can remember when most all the logging was done with cats on the Michigan National Forests back in the early 1960's. Most with open seats, no armor, etc.
~Ron

Puffergas

Only Bigfoot could reach that high to grab the cable.   ;D
Jeff

barbender

I got a book from the local library once that had an extensive section on dozers and logging arches, it was very interesting with tons of great pictures. I wish I could remember the title of it.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

@barbender,Endless Tracks In The woods by James A. Young and Jerry D. Budy will keep a man looking and reading for hours.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skeans1

@barbender 
@g_man 
@Ron Scott 
@Puffergas 
@thecfarm 
If you ever get the chance to make it out here Camp 18 has tons of those arches still in working condition, even with those you can still stand a cat up on her back end.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

You buying lunch at the restaurant?  :D  :D

Skeans1

@thecfarm
The food is pretty good but the coolest part to me is that iron museum that they have outside, where else are you going to see a Washington/Allied Feller Buncher I think of the less then 50 built there's only one maybe two still cutting and then this one.

Puffergas

The 114 unloading some logs at the yard.

Jeff

BargeMonkey

Just a tough as nails machine, walks all over a newer 648G3. 

Ron Scott

Came across this neat landing/decking area along a heavily traveled roadway into a popular winter sports area. This logger will attract new clients with "neatness".

~Ron

Ron Scott

Equipment still in use by the small independent operator; a 5510 Iron Mule Forwarder and a John Deere Cable Skidder on an early 2020 timber harvest.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!