iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM guide roller question

Started by armechanic, May 27, 2020, 08:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armechanic

How is the best way to do the 1/4" deflection measurement ?  My mill has been setting for some time due to medical issues, now I am trying to get it back running.  New battery, up & down motor bad. The mill is mostly original with less than 600 hrs. New gas clean carb. lube.  It is !989 LT40HD. I have tractors w/forks to move things, but it will be a learning time, Broke back, crushed shoulder and one lung.  I don't ride mules anymore !
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

terrifictimbersllc

Best to use new belts, and have a clean blade.
1) Raise the rollers or take them off, so they do not contact the blade.  Measure the height of the blade nearest either side.  Should be the same, or the outside 1/16" higher than the inside. 
2) Now put the rollers back in, and adjust them so that they push the blade down 1/4" from the above measurements.  That's all.

However there are more steps than this in a complete alignment. You may wish to do that procedure as well, which involves making sure:
- that each bunk is the same distance from the blade (without the rollers as in step 1 above)
- that the blade tracks properly on both wheels under tension
-the guide arm moves in and out straight both vertically and horizontally
-there is 1/4" down pressure
-flange at back of the rollers are correct distance from back of blade
-each roller holds the blade parallel to the bunks 
-finally tilting the head slightly so outside is 1/16" higher than inside 
-adjusting the uprights to 90 degrees and adjusting them and any other small stops to be in a straight line

Should get the complete alignment procedure for your mill from WM if you don't have it.   Good luck.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

armechanic

Thanks for reply.  I had an idea that I would need to get the rollers up off the blade.  My manual don't show the procedure and sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Thank You Sponsors!