iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My circ saw at the mill is dead, What to replace with?

Started by Brad_bb, May 22, 2020, 10:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

60v print, overloaded the FF. Better check if the administrator is OK   :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Don P

Get the feeling WB is a DeWalt fan? :D
I've actually got a lot of their tools but they can't seem to make a saw I'd like to own. Basically when B&D bought them they moved their industrial line to that brand, and then eroded the quality of both. But that is the nature of biz.

Woodpecker52

Have a sears craftsman sawmill brand corded saw, had it 30 years, cuts as good as the day I bought it.  Also use a cheap HF corded saw and I do not baby it one bit and it can take it.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

farmfromkansas

My old 18 volt Dewalt runs the battery down quickly.  Works a little better in the sawzall, and pretty good on drills.  I had several Dewalt drills when they went to Lithium ion, still have several good nicad batteries.  Have been buying Hitachi now Metabo drills when on sale, but already have one dud battery.  They are 18 volt, and work OK in a drill, can't imagine they have enough power in a circular saw.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

barbender

You can't compare the power of the old NiCad 18 volt stuff to the new Li-ion 20v brushless tools. The combination of higher amp hour ratings with the brushless technology is a whole different ball game. I have an old 18v Dewalt circular saw (6 1/2") and while it is useful, it doesn't even compare to the newer 7 1/4" brushless saw.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

half the stuff is prob. made in the same factory, just use a different color plastic for the injection molding.  ;) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on May 23, 2020, 06:22:42 PM
You can't compare the power of the old NiCad 18 volt stuff to the new Li-ion 20v brushless tools. The combination of higher amp hour ratings with the brushless technology is a whole different ball game. I have an old 18v Dewalt circular saw (6 1/2") and while it is useful, it doesn't even compare to the newer 7 1/4" brushless saw.
Your absolutely right. Some of the 18v batteries where a pain to get in and out of various tools at times. ( Dewalt makes a adapter that fits in the 18v to use the 20v battery). The 20v will cut 2x wet treated good for the weight of saw. When you get to the bigger stuff with bigger batteries and multiple batteries the saws are cumbersome and big. Personally I think any good name brand with the lithium ion battery will work fine. You need to see what feels good ergonomically in your hand ,the switch positions for quick one hand control and multiple tool and battery offerings not so much the color of the tool. One of the tools that I have that has been out for several years  that I find amazing still is the oscillating tool. I've put carbide metal blades on and cut nuts off up under a sinks that where so corroded you couldn't get them off any other way. Suburban tire carrier wouldn't come down (made a few cuts).Then fine unusual cuts in wood, metal, plastics and so on 

SawyerTed

Another vote for Dewalt 60v Max circular saw.  I've used a Milwaukee and my 60v Max and don't see much difference.  The battery system is what tipped the scale to Dewalt.  I already have drills, impact driver, oscillating saw all from Dewalt. 

Which ever way you choose, keep the battery system compatible.  Tools aren't cheap but batteries are expensive!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Brad_bb

Got back home.  I knew had two Bosch 18V circ saws that used the old Ni Cad battery.  Those never lasted long enough to make those saws worth using.  But my idea was, could those saws possibly share the same motor housing with the newer one?

I used to work for Bosch designing Dremel and Rotozip tools.  So I know the intricacies of designing those tools.  If you're changing models, you may not be changing the motor or motor shaft assembly.  If they were just changing battery types, maybe the rest of the tool stayed the same?

Well it turns out the two saws I had at home were the 1662 and the 1664.  My newer Li Ion battery tool is the CCS180.  The motor housing and base of the 1664 looked like they were the same as the CCS180.  The only difference was the battery interface in the handle.

So I started to dissassemble the CCS180 handle.  First I had to remove the base locking lever.
Turns out I was wrong in my previous post, you can readjust the position of the locking lever.  Unfortunate I'd been living with that annoyance for so long.  The lever can be clocked in other positions.

I opened the CCS180 handle, which is a neat package with two wires going to the motor.  I clipped those wires close to the motor and removed the lower handle with all the stuff in it.

I then opened the 1664 handle.  It was much simpler electronically.  

I then removed the handle halves leaving the motor housing with the wires and switch hanging.

Then I tried installing the newer handle assembly onto the 1664 motor assembly.  PERFECT FIT!
They hadn't changed the design on the interface of the handle to motor assembly.

All I had to do now was clip the motor wires and connect them to the two from the newer handle.  Unfortunately I have all my good Del City Butt connectors down at my other place.  They are heat shrink plastic with a solder ring in the center so when you heat it with the heat gun, It solders and heat shrinks in one step.  I'll have to do that part tomorrow. I put two screws in the other half of the handle to button it up.

Now this previous model saw (1664) has the next model handle (CCS180) that uses the newer Li Ion batteries.  Didn't cost me anything As I got those two older tools free when I worked there (they were engineering samples that were going to be thrown out).  Still even if you just found a 1664 on facebook or craigslist or wherever for a low price, you could do the same thing.  

FYI, the 1662 saw was a totally different animal with a smaller motor and housing.  The Li Ion handle would not fit that one.

I'm happy that this will last the rest of this Ash sawing project (another Month or 6 weeks?).  After this, the mill will be near outlets so I'll have more choice as far as using a corded saw or maybe the battery powered chainsaw, which would probably be more useful.  

Also, I will not be buying anymore Bosch tools for this system.  If I need to buy, I'll start looking at Milwaukee's system.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Wudman

@Southside has an 80 volt Kobalt Chainsaw at the mill.  It's one of the handiest tools I've ever laid my hands on.  It's very efficient for all around use.  Great tool.  I would recommend it.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Don P

I picked up a Kobalt drill/driver mainly because the batteries were cheaper. It is fair, looks like I'm losing the drill chuck, the impact is still thumping right along. A buddy went all in and got those, the 1/2" impact which is stronger than my electric, and the saw. Although the saw works, again it wasn't designed by someone who uses a saw, its a contortionist fit. To beat all my wife came up this morning with a Frisbee she bought for the dog and said "can you throw this?" I tried and sure enough, someone designed, produced and marketed a Frisbee that doesn't fly :D I mean really ::)

beav

Brad_bb:
Very impressive solution. You spent a little time, no money, and you are back up running!
I always thought bosch was a top tier tool. Never had one though

timbur

I have used the Milwaukee 2732-20 with a 18V 12.0AH Batt in 3 x 12 red oak , it was like cutting a lumberyard 2 x 4 

bobnic

Since I got my Dewalt 60v 7-1/4" circular saw last year I have yet to use my plug in circular saw again.  I also have the Dewalt 60v chainsaw which is great for limbing, log trimming, and cutting up slabs but the circular saw is safer and easier to cut boards with.
Thomas 2413

moodnacreek

esteadle

Thank You Sponsors!