iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine trees are sick.

Started by ARKANSAWYER, May 08, 2005, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

The photo is not real good but there are white flakes sticking up off the needles and then the needles turn brown and die.  It may be killing the trees because some are loosing all of their needles.  This is on Southern Yellow Pine and most are young trees.   I did not see any kind of  bugs around.  It will be some time before I can get to the Forestry Commision place to see what they know.  So I came to the place where all is known.  I need to save my little trees.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

chet

Arky,
It looks to me like it could be Pine Needle Rust.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ianab

Looks like fungus of some kind.

You could try spraying with a copper based fungicide, like is used on fruit trees.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

I recognize that one, but since I am old, and not in the office, I cannot recall it.  Think it may be a leaf miner, or borer.  Do the end of needles die first?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ARKANSAWYER

What Kevin posted was it.  They did not list any spray for it and said that the trees should survive.   I may just hit them with some funguside and see how they do.  It is sad when you plant several thousand pines and then they start turning brown.  :(
ARKANSAWYER

Rocky_Ranger

Yeah it's a rust disease, and you can spray it with a fungicide.  I used to spray every year when I had the Christmas tree farm in western Arkansas.  Find an "Arkansas Christmas Tree Grower" member and they can tell you what the stuff is to spray, I can't remember anymore.  Like the info says it doesn't really hurt the tree, Christmas trees are in a little different bailiwick though.........  All I can remember about the fungicide is it stinks to high heaven(that really helps, huh?).
RETIRED!

SwampDonkey

I was thinking rust also. Rust is common in pines and many have alternate host plants.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Ditto! to the above. It's Pine Needle Rust. Most controls are used by the Christmas Tree Growers since it affects the sale of their trees. Check with your local Extension Service or the Christmas Tree Growers Association or a local nursery if you have one nearby.

~Ron

Wudman

Yep, It's a pine needle rust.  It can be caused by one of about 20 different fungi.  I have the worst infestation on a stand this year that I have ever seen.  It will show up on year old needles as the fungi overwinters on cast needles.  Most also require an intermediate host (goldenrod is one that comes to mind).  On a small scale operation, fungicide treatment is a viable option.  Elimination of the intermediate host (mowing or herbicide) is also a viable option.  Windbreaks to intercept blowing spores can assist in control.  With all of that said, the rust should not be a major problem unless you are growing Christmas trees.  The infected needles will die and fall off.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!