iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Michigan

Started by Autocar, April 27, 2016, 08:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I got drawn for turkey hunting in and around Lake County Michigan this week. Got up there on Sunday and was seeing plenty of turkeys in and around towns. Monday morning I get into Manistee National Forest and never heard a turkey gobbling even though I saw a few tracks in this area plenty of deer in Lake Cty . On Tuesday tried another spot but never heard any gobbles. Looked for sign as far south as Oceana County beautiful hardwood forest with acorns coveing the floor about all of them were sprouting didn't see a deer track or turkey track on the trails. Found another spot with some tracks but this morning nothing. After looking at pictures of how much snow they get I come to the conclusion that the locals feed turkeys at there feeders in the winter to keep them alive and there hanging around on there propertys. I did see a bear while I was hunting and a porcupine and grouse were drumming. It was a beautiful day up there and returning home to clouds and rain was a bummer. Mushroom hunters were out in the afternoons and one fellow had 45 grays that fit in his to hands they were pretty tiny.
Bill

fishpharmer

Bill, too bad the turkey's didn't cooperate.  Exploring and hunting a new area is always fun.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

starmac

It is a wildlife thing, they have a calender and know the season dates well it seems at times.
The first time I hunted the Gila, I had super easy shots at elk every day, but in a week of hard hunting never put my sights on a buck. I put in and drew a cow elk tag the next year, set up camp 2 days before the season started. we got 8 inches of snow the following day, you couldn't hardly walk without stepping on elk tracks in the fresh snow, so cow tag, elk everywhere = meat in the freezer, wrong again. Season opened the following day and deer teased me for the entire four day hunt, but all those elk tracks led right out of the unit we had drawn for. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WV Sawmiller

I got up this morning and walked out on the front porch about 0545 but did not hear a turkey so went back to bed. A few minutes later they started gobbling so I jumped up and into my gear and up the hill on my ATV. Several gobbling over near the corner of my place. Eased over and saw one on the roost and thought about bushwhacking him off the roost but could not see which way he was looking so I sat down and started yelping without putting out my decoys. Saw 2 pitch down, one's head bobbing down the hill below me and heard one gobble his way on up the holler behind me and one off below me. None came so I came on home about 0800. May try tomorrow. I'd likely be better off to just sit in a likely spot and hope one comes by as I am not a very good caller. Still fun to go help educate them.

Good luck to you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!