iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Axle hubs for bobcat rims

Started by mjeselskis, March 20, 2020, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

I'm looking to build a walking beam off road trailer to haul behind my tractor for logs, dirt, etc. I have a nice set of 4 skid steer rims and tires that I'd like to use since they are high flotation, strong, and thick. They have a large bolt pattern, I think it's 8 x 10.75", so it doesn't line up with many common hub patterns. Besides making 4 adapter plates, does anyone have any ideas/options for hubs/axles?

Thanks
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

711ac

If it's not an odd ball tire size, it may be simpler/cheaper to just look out for some standard 8 bolt (truck) wheels. They would be plenty strong for trailer use vs the constant side forces that you'll have on a SS. Even if they are not quite as wide, a little extra sidewall bulge should help protect the rim some and not make any difference just rolling along in a trailer application.

chevytaHOE5674

Pretty sure most skid steers are 8 bolt on 8" circle. Check out agrisupply I've seen hubs in that pattern there before.

mike_belben

Weld some stock steel junkyard rims right into the center and torch out the old circle.  

5 on 4.5 / 5 on 114 is super common.  Jeep cherokee honda accord  camry etc etc.  Then just use junkyard unit bearings or trailer spindles.

I dont know anything that matches a bobcat.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Keep in mind a 16.5 skid steer rim has no safety bead and theyll drop a bead any time they leak down or get sidescrubbed too hard.  Keep em aired up good.
Praise The Lord

sealark37

Using specialty tires in a different application is fraught with unanticipated problems.  Please don't ask how I found this out.   Regards, Clark

sealark37

Using specialty tires for a different application is fraught with unanticipated problems.  Please don't ask how I found this out.

mjeselskis

Quote from: mike_belben on April 04, 2020, 08:00:10 PM
Keep in mind a 16.5 skid steer rim has no safety bead and theyll drop a bead any time they leak down or get sidescrubbed too hard.  Keep em aired up good.
Thanks for the advice. I planned on using these since they are heavy ply and pretty rugged. Your idea about the rim centers is a good one. Do the 16.5 skid steer rims give that many problems with breaking a bead? Are they any different than tractor tires?
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

chevytaHOE5674

Some 16.5" wheels do indeed have the "safety bead" but not all do. Not any different than most other heavy equipment wheels. At low pressures they are more prone to knocking the beads off.

Never shopped around but here is an 8 bolt 8" bolt circle hub that should fit your wheel. Just have to double check the center hub hole dimension.

Hub Assembly, 8 Stud, 8 In. Bolt Pattern, 6000 Lb. Capacity

Thank You Sponsors!