iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

height for cross members on portable mill

Started by fivedogs, September 11, 2007, 06:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivedogs

putting in a cement base for my portable mill  how high sould  i put  cross members  or are they even needed i know cleanout  would probably be necessary  so 4x4 or 6x6 or 8x8 what would be the recomendation  thanks fivedogs

Fla._Deadheader

The higher the bed, the easier it is to handle lumber-slabs, clean-up, etc.

Problem is, then ya gotta get the logs UP to the bed.  How's yer loading ability for logs on the mill ???

I think we built Homey at 28" off the ground  ???  That would give ya room to add a loader to the mill  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

fivedogs

i got me my wife and  with a couple of  strong  couple of backs

dail_h

My Norwood sets on 6x12s on top of 2x8 oak. Almost perfect height ,use "Spud" to load
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

thecfarm

I wanted mine close to the ground.I could use my tractor to load the logs on my mill but don't.I put 6-8 logs at a time on to 2 logs that are even with the mill and roll them on that way.I will be replacing this with a trailer very soon.I will be loading my logs on to a trailer in the woods and hauling this to the mill.I want to pull along side of the mill and roll the logs from the trailer on to the mill.Working height is still OK.The mill is about 8 inches off the ground and the working height is 16 inches.I don't use my mill alot.This makes a big differance. I don't have to clean under it all that often to make it a bother.If it was a bother to me I would raise the mill.I should of poured a slab for mine and put a roof over it first thing.This is in the plan.I have more going on now than what I did when I first got the mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!