iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hired man and fork frames

Started by Bruno of NH, September 04, 2020, 03:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newoodguy78

Finesse on equipment can't be taught you either have it or don't 

doc henderson

I agree.  however, a beginner may have to be taught.  My son started and it took him a while.  He would move a lever slow cause I told him to but if it did not move soon, he would jam it.  I came close to getting hurt a time or two.  you have to anticipate the machine movement.  after hours and days on a machine, it become a bionic part of your body.  you have to hear a slight change in the engine sound as it starts to do some work as you pressurize the circuit.  even with experience you can make a mistake.  if you are doing two cylinders at a time like with an excavator, and stop the one, the other gets more power and can suddenly move.  so after multiple times my son got the look and maybe a word or two for giving it all or nothing on a hydraulic, I did it to him.  was digging close to pipes and curling the bucket and moving it sideways.  stopped curling and the arm swung.  William was watching the pipe and it made him jump.  the look on his face was priceless, cause he now under stood what I had been telling him.  this stuff is powerful and why we love it. but in the wrong hands, dangerous and life and limb threatening.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

We had a nickname for people who were habitually destroying equipment.  

They earned the nickname and were labeled with the acronym of the first letters of "Hard On Equipment."  

They didn't like the nickname.   :D  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

47sawdust

Bruno you may ask your wife to hire the next operator and perhaps she should be of the same gender.
I know of a woman rancher who only hires woman because they are easier on the equipment .

Working within the limitations of your equipment will lead to fewer breakdowns,
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Southside

I have to agree with the above statement and add that they also eat less too! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Quote from: mike_belben on September 04, 2020, 11:25:49 PM
That aint enough fork rack for a 9 series.  
My thought exactly, although there is still operator error going on.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

A young local woman is one of the best track hoe operators I have seen, her foreman says the same thing. Some people are not meant to run equipment, they just don't get it, while others take to it naturally. That kind of abuse costs you time and money, only you can determine when enough is enough. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

Quote from: 47sawdust on September 05, 2020, 08:31:22 PM
Bruno you may ask your wife to hire the next operator and perhaps she should be of the same gender.
I know of a woman rancher who only hires woman because they are easier on the equipment .

Working within the limitations of your equipment will lead to fewer breakdowns,
I don't know about that. Several years ago my friend that was letting his lady friend run the Cat D6 high track Dozer and she had a monster cottonwood fall on it. That was 30k in damages. She was fine and went on to damage other stuff 😂. He was way to nice of a guy and still is. Between him shelling money out for everybody that asked for money and everybody that wanted to work plus loaning a side dumper trailer and having a hard time getting it back from someone. It cost him thousands plus the down time bailing someone out of a jambs. Now he is alone and everybody leaves him alone. He likes it that way. The stories that guy has 😂

711ac

Next time, send him home. If his machine's not working, he's not working.

snowstorm

simple answer to the problem. turn the hydraulic pressure down  

doc henderson

should prob. change it to, women who make it their profession, may bring some things to the table like finesse and patience.  It still requires ability and desire to learn.  some folks no matter the details, have something to prove and think faster and harder makes them a good worker.  it is good to get the job done, but not at the expense of equipment.  My brother worked for a big road construction company, and they were fine with tearing some stuff up to get a job done.  they would have thousands of dollar in fines if late ect.  but he would come to my house.  get and Ingersoll-Rand air drill new out of the box, then drag it by the air hose across the concrete floor to use it.  while I was chewing his Ash tree like and EAB, he tried to explain that one to me.  No go.  do not use my tools.  We all have different strengths and weaknesses, and only you Bruno can determine if he is worth trying to train.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

He got mad at me yesterday because I yelled at him.
We had a customer waiting on us and he was just doing what ever he wanted making them wait.
He's lucky it wasn't 20 years ago.
41 years old had his mom come get him.
I offered to give him a ride.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Bruno unless this gentleman is legitimately impaired then you really need to reconsider his value as an employee. 

Sometimes the long term damage outweighs the short term benefits. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Bruno, you are about the nicest, most reasonable, hard working, straight forward guy I've never met.  

I could not imagine you getting upset with an employee, or anyone else for that matter, unless they really, really deserved it.  If he can't work for you, then he can't work for anybody.  

Fire his  smiley_wavy.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

Your hired guy just doesn't seem to have respect for you. Seems like the problems keep happening. He might be grateful to be working for you. But Actions Speak Louder Than Words.

Thank You Sponsors!