iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's this graveyard tree? Solved: Melaleuca

Started by Tom, February 25, 2003, 12:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Some will know right away what this is.  If you do, give the others a chance to guess.  Charlie, Deadheader, Crosscut.....  You can play but you're disqualified to name it. :D

They form a pretty crown for landscaping

The seeds form like a row of corn from the sickeningly sweet smelling, bottle brush shaped flowers.

The thick bark is composed of many thin layers and is pliable like paper.  Many commonly call it a paperbark tree.

Bro. Noble

It looks like it might be some kinda willow?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mark M

It looks similar to a Russian Olive, but I've never seen one that big.

Mark

chet

Australian Paperbark Tree,  other common names -bottle brush tree, cajeput tree, melaleuca, niaouli, paperbark, punktree
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom

That's good Chet!

It's taken over south Florida.  When I was a kid it was planted on our street as an ornamental.  Other than the bark, which I find neat, the main remembrance I have is the overpowering sweet smell of the flowers.  It was almost nauseating.  

I would certainly like to find a use for the lumber because a fellow could almost be paid to cut the trees down. 'Course if they found out you were using the tree then the economics would change and it would go from a nuisance weed to a valuable timber tree. :-/

chet

Some of the invasive critters that plague Michigan are: purple loosestrife, glossy buckthorn, spotted knapweed, and zebra muscles. None of dem are sawable either.  :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

CHARLIE

Yeah but Buckthorn is a beautiful wood to turn. Real nice grain and color.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!