iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wild Hogs Wreaking Havoc

Started by WDH, March 17, 2015, 08:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

On my food plots.  Plowing then up in room size plots.  Making nasty holes.  Murder trying to mow or harrow with the tractor after they do this.  There is just about no way to control these scourges. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

battlinbill

Dang that looks awful.  You must hunt them though, and that sounds fun to me.  How's the meat, I've had it in sausage and that was darn good. Never a wild chop though.

WV Sawmiller

Not sure about current hunting and trapping regs on wild hogs in Ga. In most states I think you can shoot feral hogs year round and sometimes even at night. If it is on your property it is your hog. Not that hard to trap them. All kind of designs on the web to build pens with trap doors, some with one way doors that will catch multiple hogs - hog roots open the door, gets in and can't get out. Boar snares are not that expensive.

I think I'd be eating plenty of pork if I were you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I actually don't like to eat them.  They are tough as whit leather.  The fat is gamey and has to be removed.  I found it best to clean them thoroughly of all fat and connective tissue and BBQ the meat low and slow.  You can make sausage, but you have to add a lot of tame pork fat to make it good. 

You can catch some in a trap once.  They are smart and get trap shy really quickly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

A quote from the Georgia web site:

Feral Hog

Private Lands

No closed season; no limit. Feral hogs may be hunted at night with a light (no voltage restriction), which is carried on the person, affixed to a helmet or hat, or part of a belt system worn by a hunter. No hunting from a vehicle. Hunting over bait is allowed. A resident Hunting License is required to hunt feral hogs for all resident hunters 16 years old or older, except when hunting on land owned by them or their immediate family (blood or dependent relationship) residing in the same household. Non-residents must possess a non-resident hunting license.

National Forest Lands (outside of WMAs)

Hogs may be taken with archery equipment during archery deer season, with deer weapons during firearms deer season, with turkey weapons during turkey season and with small game weapons during small game season. Feral hogs may be hunted with dogs with appropriate weapons restrictions while training dogs during dates when training season coincides with small game or turkey season. See Specialty Hunts on WMA & Federal Areas for dog training seasons and rules. No limit. No night hunting. No hunting over bait. Hunting license requirements must be met. Hunter orange is required during firearms and primitive weapons deer seasons.

Danny - maybe you should set up a FF hog hunt down there.  I'll be happy to come dow a shoot a few of them for you.

Bruce

Left Coast Chris

Need to call in the American Hoggers.  Maybe some new episodes in the making.....
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

They are probably worse than the hogs  :D. 

dutchman

Freind from Texas hunts, and traps hogs.
You can draw them in by making a wallow.
Soak some 4x4's in diesel fuel, set them out where you
want to shoot. They come to the smell of diesel.
Good hunting.

Magicman

I attended a Hog Seminar last week sponsored by our county Extension Office.  Very informative.  I recently have had my first evidence of hogs on my place.   :-\  I hope that it got out of someone's hog pen and is just one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ESFted

Night hunting with suppressed weapons (where legal) and night vision equipment.  Expensive gear.  If you put a request for help on certain firearms sites you would probably get some well qualified volunteers.  It's a popular sport with ex military types.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Ianab

Wild pork is good cooked in an earth oven. Hangi or Umu depending on which Island you are from. Some sweet potato, corn on the cob, pumpkin etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%81ngi

Locally they are usually hunted with well trained (and brave, but not very smart) hunting dogs. Use the dogs to run them down, then finish then with a well placed shot or knife. Alternatively you can just stalk and ping them off sniper style when they come out around dusk. Yes they are smart, but you shoot a couple, and the rest don't come back for a while.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

Is that a invitation? ;D We might need to try and quarter saw one of them hogs. We will need a bigun to get the right grain.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

If that were my property, the policy would be S. S. S.!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ianab

Quote from: Chuck White on March 18, 2015, 07:00:22 AM
If that were my property, the policy would be S. S. S.!

As they are classed as a pest, I think it's Shoot, Shovel and invite your buddies around when the Hangi is ready to lift ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

That is right.  You can shoot them anytime, day or night here on private land.

thecfarm

That's too bad. The glaciers we have here keep them critters at bay. I knew they was good for something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red

I think you need some Goats at least ONE
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red oaks lumber

i would try using electric fence around your open plot area, hogs are very smart and would learn real fast thats an area not worth entering.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ianab

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 18, 2015, 07:43:09 AM
i would try using electric fence around your open plot area, hogs are very smart and would learn real fast thats an area not worth entering.

With a decent controller it will discourage them. The one we had at the old farm was rated to keep Elephants out for 10 miles  :D
If it got shorted by a fallen tree or dead elephant  you could hear the pulses going down the line before you noticed the alarm

Bibbyman

One wet spring morning Mary and I went over to visit her folk's.  I noticed a 20 acre field next to their house had been tilled.   I couldn't figure out how they possibly could have worked it considering how wet it was.  I asked. Well, it started out being oats but the neighbor's hogs had gotten into it and rooted it all up - leaving nothing unturned.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Holmes

I remember Mr. Tom hated "them hogs".
Think like a farmer.

E fan

Arkansas had it where I could shoot them during any hunting season till this past fall they decided it was only going to happen during a big game gun hunting season....aka gun deer season , WTH I kill everyone I run across regardless if season for anything or not dead hog is a good hog and where I hunt if you shoot it and it runs it runs down hill and I don't care anything about going and getting them .....coyotes have to eat too

WDH

OK.

I will be away for the next two weeks running electrical wire a half mile to the two acre food plot to surround it with electric fence wire.  I will let you know when I am back  :)

gfadvm

Quote from: WDH on March 18, 2015, 08:42:22 PM
OK.

I will be away for the next two weeks running electrical wire a half mile to the two acre food plot to surround it with electric fence wire.  I will let you know when I am back  :).

I'll bet they have solar powered chargers where you live!

thecfarm

Or a regular car battery. I run a fence around my garden. Battery goes bad,I just go "trade" it in for another one. As long as they have a battery to send back,that's all they care about. BUT I do turn it off during the day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!