iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hahn Harvesters

Started by Bobus2003, May 27, 2010, 12:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

I have been slowly getting out of sawlog cutting and getting more into Post cutting.. I have found a Hahn Harvester for sale and have heard good and bad about them. I think that with the small post wood they should perform faily well does anyone have any insight on  the Hahn Machines? Are they any good? Something to check out or stay away from?

barbender

I think they are made in Grand Marais, MN, up on the North Shore of Lake Superior. I've never seen one in operation except on a video I watched one time. They look slow, one of my buddies that used to hual for a guy that used a Hahn said the guy would cut and skid for a day and then run the Hahn for a week :D I don't think it was really that bad, but the point was that it was slow.
Too many irons in the fire

John Woodworth

The Hann is a very good machine and you have to realize that it takes a 3 man crew for it to run at it's peak, one to yard to the machine, one to operate the machine and one moving the processed logs. They are not a slow machine with a skilled operator or they would not have been as sucessful as they have been. The operating cost's and maintaince cost's however I'd sure re-think if I was just cutting posts.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Bobus2003

Yeah, i went and looked at it yesterday.. The fact that its got 4 or 5 5 gallon buckets under it collecting leaking oil wasn't a good sale point :D Had to be fired up on ether and ran like crap (70* day don't like that). It needs alot of TLC so i think i'll just stick to my Kesla Processor on the excavator

gunman63

ran one for a 5 years , (about 10 years ago), was new the first day i went to work for the guy, started skidding for him first.
  as far as production, good day, good aspen 100 cds,  but thats 2 guys in it, and stockpiling. I can either stroke delimb or speedwheel it thru, but he bigger wood its all stroke,  smaller wood u can run 2-3 at a time. wood shorter than 8' wont fit the bunk the  best and smaller wood tends to get messy  because the kickout table is fast, but also does  have a sorting  table for   bolts, U can also cut logs with it, by laying down the back plate. but it limbs  and cuts in one machine, if u run a delimber u need a man for that and one for the slasher.  Will limb bigger limbs and smaller,  but he smaller limbs in the summer are tough, like to bend over, for doing only posts i dont think it would be a good machine. but like any machine, has its good and bad  with different jobs. one guy swears by them next guy swears at them.

Thank You Sponsors!