iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Helmet When Cutting?

Started by GaTrapper, February 11, 2016, 07:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Here in northern Canada back in the day when we were logging with chainsaws, all us fallers wore a Peltor screen on our helmets.
Someone with a new position in head office decided all fallers should wear a screen and safety glasses together.  Well that didn't go over very well as our longest logging season was in winter with temps on the average -25 below .
Darn glasses would fog up with the cold and strenuous labor and were more dangerous then good when our vision was obstructed.
We only had to use the screen for eye protection.

It turned out anyone who had to wear prescription glasses never got to be a faller in our logging camps. They were put on a machine with a heated cab :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

pabst79

I used wear separate ear and eye protection with no hat, my glasses always fogged up and irritated me. I switched to the Husky hat with screen and muffs, can't imagine going back to the old way. Plus the screen protects your whole face.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

CJennings

I always wear a helmet when felling. Too much crazy stuff can happen too quickly to not wear it. Actually a traffic flagger a little north of me was just injured in the head by a tree while some tree work was being done, no helmet on. I think the only time in the last year I've run a saw without a helmet on was in the perfectly treeless backyard milling a small log with the saw.

drobertson

good pick, I like the full brim hats, when working in a light drizzle or after a rain, the drips don't get down the neck as easy,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodsdog2015

I picked up a Stihl "Forester pro" helmet system yesterday... think that's what its called.. it was the $69 one but he gave me $5 off. The other one was $49 but it had a bulkier front face screen.  This unit has the fold down ear muffs and adjustable band.  I've never worn one before so I hope it doesn't get in my way too much.  My ear muffs broke the other day when I was out cutting must be from the cold... I went to stretch them apart to put on and the plastic head piece that rims from ear to ear just snapped right in half.  I think they were brittle from the cold or something.  Anyway,  I also ordered a decent pair of steel toed logger boots too but they don't come in until next week.  I've always worn chaps though.  I guess I should be safe and now that my woodburner has saved me some money in heating bills this year it makes sense to reinvest into some better equipment for cutting.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

woodsdog2015

I didn't really care for the price of the helmet but the dealer was good he printed me out a replacement parts list for the entire system so you can get replacement muffs, the "hygiene kit" which is just the foam instead, a new sweat band, etc. so it's not like a pair of cheap earmuffs that you get for $7 and then they break but I guess that's 10 pairs of muffs I could have bought for that helmet system... but I do have the additional head and eye protection with this system too so there is some value to that.  I'm not a tree feller really so I questioned if I really needed to plunk that kind of money down but I take care of things and like you all have stated in this post and others, you never know when something is going to go bad especially in a high noise high chaos cutting environment. 
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

rick carpenter

Where does anyone find bifocal safety glasses? I'm soon to buy a helmet/etc, so this is hopefully not a complete hi-jack.
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

Ozarker

Wouldn't bifocal safety glasses have to come from a dispensing optician? With a prescription, surely you can find a place on line to fill it, if no other.

terrifictimbersllc

I got a pair at the company optician store once.  Lost them 20 years later.  I think you could ask your optician, wherever you get your present glasses, what the safety glass option is.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

John Mc

I've seen bifocal safety glasses at a couple of hardware stores. Got a pair of bifocal sunglasses there once as well, but have never seen them since. The lens quality is similar to what you get from drug-store reading glasses.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!