iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms440 crankshaft

Started by DKindley, February 28, 2016, 10:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKindley

Has anyone used the aftermarket crankshaft and bearing kit for an ms440? Getting ready to order the parts and tear into it. After asking you guys on the forum I feel pretty confident about the job, I just don't want to use junk parts and have to do it twice.

pwheel

Oh, there are lots of opinions both ways on this. When I rebuilt an ms460, I went OEM. Also got lots of good advice from the local Stihl shop as a side benefit. I understand that AM parts work just fine most of the time, but it's just my preference to use OEM when it's my own equipment.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

DKindley

That's generally been my opinion also. So looks like the dealer only for OEM parts then?

ZeroJunk

Yeah, I use a lot of aftermarket parts but I think I might draw the line at the crankshaft.

DKindley

Well it's pretty clear that's the way to go then. I just have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer. I'll probably find something else I can't live without there too

DKindley

I see that site sponsor Chainsawr has a used crankshaft, what do we think about going that route? I know I'm being kinda cheap but this is just a back up to a back up saw so I don't want to spend a fortune to get it going. It's just not a necessity. I might actually still try the aftermarket kit just because it's really not goi g to see heavy use anyway

pwheel

Quote from: DKindley on February 29, 2016, 12:04:20 AM
I see that site sponsor Chainsawr has a used crankshaft, what do we think about going that route? I know I'm being kinda cheap but this is just a back up to a back up saw so I don't want to spend a fortune to get it going. It's just not a necessity. I might actually still try the aftermarket kit just because it's really not going to see heavy use anyway
The local Stihl tech recommended that I re-use the crank when I rebuilt my ms460 rather than buy aftermarket, and he's never steered me wrong. I've purchased a couple of flywheels from chainsawr, and they were in good condition and perform as expected.

DKindley

I wish I could reuse mine but that bearing is shot

pwheel

Quote from: DKindley on February 29, 2016, 01:53:19 PM
I wish I could reuse mine but that bearing is shot
I was suggesting that you snag the used unit that chainsawr has online instead of going aftermarket.

ohiowoodchuck

I have purchased a lot of stuff from chainsawr and haven't had no trouble. I would buy a used one from him before I would give any dealer 200 bucks for a new one.
Education is the best defense against the media.

DKindley

Ya I definitely won't be shelling out the 275.00 I was quoted today for an OEM crankshaft- ouch!
I'm leaning real hard towards the used one!

Thank You Sponsors!