iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Link to old logging film

Started by jph, June 30, 2007, 12:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jph

I hope the links work.They are for two bits of old black and white silent film entitled "From Seed to Mill". Quality is pretty poor but but I hope they are of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/v/BcLayJsw4_0

http://www.youtube.com/v/4zSQ5mJRYyg

Thanks Jeff for explaining how to make the links.

John

rebocardo

Reddog

Thanks, those are neat to watch.

tonich

Timburr

Nice one John  8) 8)  From the 30's?

Apart from the crawler and sawmill, everything else is fueled with beef and potatoes.

I see, as part of the process, that the bark is peeled once felled.
A tidbit of history!!  Many decades ago,  most of our oak was felled in the 3 week period in May, when the cambium bond was at it's weakest.  The bark was peeled and sent to the tanneries for leather processsing.  Tannery bark was a useful bonus earner for forest owners back then and was big business, but like many industries, it has fallen by the wayside.  I believe there is only one British tannery left still using oak bark.
Sense is not common

Den Socling

They are interesting looks at the past. Workers in the forest industry often have back-breaking and dangerous jobs today but nothing like these guys. How would you like to support a cant in a bandsaw with your bare hands?!

james

wow 8) 8) 8) 
james               

leweee

:) Thanks for the Link John  :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rebocardo

Yep, I found them taking the bark off interesting too. Peabody MA use to be practically the tanning center of the USA, I think they are now down to one company, Bond Leather.

semologger

i got a good find at a flea market this weekend. its an old time life book its called the loggers made in 1976. it shows guys peeling logs up to 18 feet thick. it is a very interesting book. it has a lot of old pitchures dating back in the 1890s. one page has  a painting of a hollow tree found in 1850s the tree was over 300 ft from roots to crown and measured 110 ft around at its base. it was a redwood. has my trees around here beat.

great film i love to watch those oldies

Ron Scott

Great film! A good job in cutting "low stumps".
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!