iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used LT40HD G24, what to look for?

Started by ChugiakTinkerer, August 15, 2016, 06:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChugiakTinkerer

There is an LT40HD G24 available near(ish) me.  I've been looking at much smaller mills but it may be worth the drive to check out this one.

I won't have a chance to see it until Saturday.  It looks like it's been out in the weather most if not all of its life.  I'm moderately capable of assessing the engine, but everything else is beyond my experience.  Anything obvious I should look at?  Also any thoughts on value assuming all major components are close to functional?  Appreciate any advice, barbs, or sarcastic comments anyone wants to send my way.
Woodland Mills HM130

WH_Conley

Look carefully at the main frame. If it is not bent then everything else can be fixed. Check the drive pulley to make sure there is no wear and has lubricant in it. That is probably the single most expensive one piece I have replaced. Make sure the hydraulic pump works and does not have any water in it. As far as everything else $500.00 and some personal tinkering will go a long way.
Bill

Delawhere Jack

I own a 1995 of that model. Check that the controls actually operate the functions which they should, proving that the circuit board is good. Check things like:

Does the sawhead move up and down?
Does the outboard blade guide move in and out?
Does the hydraulic pump come on when you move a control handle?

Even if these functions seem a little sticky, just seeing that they respond proves that the wiring and electronics are intact.

This model is fairly simple compared to the newer LT40's. Lacking a few refinements, but perfectly capable. And considering that you would be milling mostly softwood in AK, it should easily handle anything you throw at it.

Neglect can usually be remedied, abuse could be a deal breaker.

From that one photo, it actually look to be in pretty good shape.

ozarkgem

What to look for! A way to get it home. 8)
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

DR Buck

Check the wheel bearing before dragging it out on the highway.    They don't live in the best environment and need routine care and feeding.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Chuck White

Watch this video, Buying a used Wood-Mizer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHVxATFvlc&feature=player_embedded

Lots of good info!

I also have a 1995 LT40HDG24, and the one in your picture looks to be in good shape, but things can change when looking closely!

Good Luck.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Delawhere Jack

I paid $13,900 for mine 4 years ago. 3,700 hrs on the meter, but VERY well maintained, and kept under cover. Look to see if the sawhead / engine looks like it has been covered, or left out in the weather. That's the most important / costly part(s). The Onan engines are known to go 5-7 thousand hours or more if you keep up on regular maintenance -- oil changes and adjusting the valve lash.

Delawhere Jack

The old "clam shell" type flipper clamp activating arm will break, if it hasn't already. Easy fix. A 5/16" square head bolt, a coupler nut and maybe a weld or two. Be advised that it will break -- again, and again, and again..... more of a nuisance than a major fault, but don't say that you weren't warned.  ;D

Chuck White

I've sawn lots of lumber every year since I bought my mill back in 2008, and my flipper style clamp hasn't broken even once.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scully

Buy it and don't look back ! Even if you sink a grand or 2 into it I feel you will still be worlds ahead of the game . As long as no major structural damage exsists all else can be repaired .
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

I agree, if you are looking for a sawmill this one needs checking out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

That mill isn't pink enough to have spent it's entire life outside. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Luke_Eames

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 16, 2016, 10:49:03 AM
That mill isn't pink enough to have spent it's entire life outside. ;)

That's 100% correct!  I bough my LT40 G24 and it previously sat outside all it's life.  It's funny how some of the parts that were under cover are nice and orange and the rest is pink!  :D

I've rebuilt a lot of my mill but it's been all well worth it.  They're a great running mill and will last forever.  I ended up putting the new Kohler engine on mine.  Find out if they've kept any maintenance records of it. 

One thing that you will want to be aware of is the age and upgrade compatibility.  I'm trying to add a lot onto my mill to increase production, however I'm finding that a lot of the parts from woodmizer aren't compatible with my mill.... If you're looking for a hobby mill, this is perfect.  If you're looking to start a business, I'd go with something a little newer.  It doesn't need a the bells and whistles but if you want to add on as you grow, you can.     
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

ChugiakTinkerer

Thanks for all the feedback.  I didn't realize these weighed so much.  I have a 3/4 ton pickup that I think is adequate for towing.  There's also a debarker on this rig.  It's part of an estate auction and I suspect it will get bid up and out of my price range.  My wife reminded me of a prior obligation I have the day of the auction, so unless I get that rescheduled I'll have to pass on this sawmill.  It's a 7-hour drive to get there, so it's not something I can squeeze in with another item on my calendar.  :(

Woodland Mills HM130

Okrafarmer

Well I can definitely tell you, a 3/4 ton pickup is more than adequate for towing that sawmill. Things I have towed an LT40HD with:

Ford F-150 ('89)
Chevy Suburban 1500 ('97)
Toyota Tacoma ('94) all the way from Louisiana to South Carolina.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

flatrock58

Check the tires and have a spare.  I had a blowout half way home with mine and no spare at midnight two hours from home.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!