iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little update I thought was interesting

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 27, 2012, 04:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Understanding Trends and Challenges of the Forests of the US

Timber Talk March/April 2012 (http://www.dovetailinc.org/files/DovetailUSForests0312.pdf)

 About 1/3rd of the U.S. is forested and our total forest area of 751 million acres has been stable for
about 100 years
 We also have about 25 million acres of urban forests in the U.S.
 The U.S. timber growing volume has increased 51% since 1953
 Annual net forest growth surpasses harvest by as much as 72%
 The U.S has 3 times the amount of reserved forest land we had in 1953
 Private landowners in the U.S. plant 4 million trees per day (that's 5 trees each year for every man, woman and child in America!)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

From the Texas Forest Service:  "A recent study by the USFS shows that since 2005, over 1,000 sawmills, 15 pulp mills, and almost 150 other primary mills in the south closed:  one fifth of all mills in the U.S. forest sector.  The remaining sawmills operated at 60% of their capacity between 2005-2009.  An estimated 300,000 full-time mill jobs were lost over the past five years."
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Georgia was hard hit.  It used to be the top state (maybe with the exception of Oregon) for wood consumption.  During this same period, wood demand dropped by 25% from mill closing and idling capacity.  This has had a huge impact on the wood business.  Things have been very rough.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!