iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The OWB won

Started by Bert, December 04, 2018, 01:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

A few nights ago I was loading the OWB for the night and was in a hurry and didnt turn the lights on. Well... that was a bad call because it was already full. The 30 pound chunk of white oak i threw in, bounced off the wood inside and came right back to me. Pinned my pointer finger between that and the steel door. Felt real nice.  After some words and dancing around I took my glove off and yep.... instant black finger nail. I dealt with the pain for 2 days and yesterday it looked like it was going to explode. Couldnt take the throbbing anymore so I "hand" drilled a hole in my fingernail using a 1/16" bit.  Its gross and not something you want to consider but if you smash a finger... letting the blood escape from under the nail is the way to go. It instantly felt wayyy better :). Ill spare the pics on the procedure. Today I was able to be productive again.
Saw you tomorrow!

thecfarm

I did that with my indoor furnace. First thing in the morning,I did not pick the stick up enough and some how my finger and the boiler got into a fighting match. The boiler knocked me out,10 count and all.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Pictures or it didn't happen..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

When you hit your finger with a piece of fw, you then understand how the big wooden hammer known as a "beetle" or "commander" works for persuading timbers into place. Just a little bump is enough to cause some major pain!
Too many irons in the fire

doctorb

I know this will sound crazy to you guys, but I have a simpler method.  I would like a picture of Bert holding his drill in one hand while the injured one is pinned on a flat surface and he's drilling straight down into his finger.  I've got to admit, you've got guts.  Really shows how much pressure is in these subungual hematomas and how much they hurt.

Anyway, you don't need a power drill, you need a stout paper clip.  Open it up, heat it up over the stove, or a lighter until its very hot, and insert it through the finger nail.  goes easieer than you might think, if it's hot.  It doesn't hurt any less than Bert's method, but you can do it anywhere.

Here's a video:

Smashed Thumb Nail Drained with Hot Paper Clip - YouTube
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

square1

The point of a knife will get you there too.
This one wasn't very bad but releasing the pressure still was a great feeling.

Don P

Well, I'll tell on myself. I needed some logs to repair a cabin... it had it's own history, there was a Revolutionary war soldier buried on the hill and several Civil war soldiers, a slave row and the lady of the house remembered playing with Confederate scrip in there as a little girl. Anyway I found an old collapsing cabin and bought it for parts, hauled the logs and showed Michelle a picture. It was an old saddlebag cabin with the double central fireplace made of dolomite quarried out of the river beside it. She wanted the rocks. So we were taking that down and I was at the point of one foot in the tractor bucket and one on the chimney butt and loading man size rocks into the bucket when I got my thumb between a rock and a hard place. By the time we were coming home it was thumping good. Only the barest thin rim of white left at the edge of the nail, the rest was purple. She said she knew something was up when she heard the back door close at two in the morning.

I wandered down to the shop looking for something to ease the pain, seeing nothing else that came to mind I chucked up a small drill bit in the drill press and commenced to try to relieve my misery. Well, you know how when a bit punches through a piece of sheet metal and grabs? Somebody screamed bloody murder and when I quit stomping around there was a horizontal streak of blood across me and the shop and my poor thumbnail was happily spinning around on the drill bit. That didn't turn out too well! Wasn't much else to do but turn on the radio and hang out till daybreak when I could hang my head and wander up for a pot of coffee and a round of "what were you thinking!" :D

DPatton

:D :D :D
Quote from: Don P on December 04, 2018, 06:45:14 PM

I wandered down to the shop looking for something to ease the pain, seeing nothing else that came to mind I chucked up a small drill bit in the drill press and commenced to try to relieve my misery. Well, you know how when a bit punches through a piece of sheet metal and grabs? Somebody screamed bloody murder and when I quit stomping around there was a horizontal streak of blood across me and the shop and my poor thumbnail was happily spinning around on the drill bit. That didn't turn out too well! Wasn't much else to do but turn on the radio and hang out till daybreak when I could hang my head and wander up for a pot of coffee and a round of "what were you thinking!" :D

:D :D :D Laughed so hard my eyes are watering!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

lxskllr

Here's mine...

I can't even tell you exactly how I did it. I was wedging a tree over, and suddenly O.O I /think/ the maul slipped off the top of the wedge, and my finger got caught between the handle and a branch stub. It had the delightful combination of not being able to feel it, but excruciatingly painful at the same time. It still looks like that, but the nail's loosening. It felt better before I took a blade to it, but it was pretty sore for a week or so. Feeling's starting to come back too.

Bert

Man I dont know if I have the guts to put a red hot paper clip down through my fingernail and certainly think a drill press is out. The benefit I see in the paper clip idea though is it wouldnt take the pressure of starting a bit or knifing through the nail. I just spun the drill bit between the fingers of my good hand.... no power involved.
Saw you tomorrow!

petefrom bearswamp

I have done that several times in my long and happy life and do like Bert.
A little hurt while drilling is much better than a couple weeks of pain.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

I've done that myself

Just find a small/sharp drill bit and get the bit over the exact location, then with your thumb and forefinger rotate the bit clockwise (cw), then counter clockwise (ccw) repeatedly until the blood starts to flow!

Squeeze out all of the blood that you can!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bluthum

Another vote for the red hot paper clip and a steady hand.  

petefrom bearswamp

It amazes me how long it takes for a nail to regrow
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 06, 2018, 08:56:38 AMIt amazes me how long it takes for a nail to regrow
There is a time proven way to make the nail grow faster but you need a special recipe:

"Fillet of a fenny snake, In the cauldron boil and bake; Eye of Newt,  and toe of frog, Wool of bat and tongue of dog, Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ed_K

I have had a few banged finger nails over the yrs. My bil told me to pinch the nail as soon as it gets banged and hold pressure on it for a while. It keeps the blood from building up.
Ed K

Southside

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2018, 09:32:05 AMbut you need a special recipe:

And somehow even this thread goes to food....;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bert

I'd really like my finger to be back to 100% but I dont think my dog is going to be real pleased with magics recipe.

Update on it.... doing well and usable but if my hands get cold outside it hurts like a toothache. not sure whats up with that.  :(
Saw you tomorrow!

JJ

Shakespeare magic..
:P

By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.

lxskllr

Quote from: Bert on December 06, 2018, 09:57:40 AM
Update on it.... doing well and usable but if my hands get cold outside it hurts like a toothache. not sure whats up with that.  :(
Mine were doing that too. Seems to get better after a couple weeks. I have a bandaid on mine now. The nail's half off, and I don't want it ripped off before it's all ready to let go.

barbender

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2018, 09:32:05 AM
Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 06, 2018, 08:56:38 AMIt amazes me how long it takes for a nail to regrow
There is a time proven way to make the nail grow faster but you need a special recipe:

"Fillet of a fenny snake, In the cauldron boil and bake; Eye of Newt,  and toe of frog, Wool of bat and tongue of dog, Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."
And now I know why you're called the Magicman!
Too many irons in the fire

maple flats

I caught a finger nail in the tail gate of dump truck when I was in high school. I didn't do it, but a doctor drilled a small hole to relieve the pain, it got better instantly. Before he did it I remember feeling every heart beat.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Magicman

I once closed the back door on a 1950 Ford on my thumb.  Had to take the other hand and open the door before I could get it out.  It got drilled with a pocket knife.

Nice catch, JJ.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

My entire career was in machine shops with all kind of ways to get hurt but my most serious accident was with a 24OZ ball peen hammer. I was driving 3/8" dowel pins into steel and with a good swing the pin kicked away and I wacked my thumb, broken bone, 5 stiches, and lost the nail. I didn't need to drill that one it was self relieved.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!