iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommendation for Cedar Shingle Equipment?

Started by DavidJ, June 09, 2012, 04:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidJ

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum.  This may be a strange request, but if anyone has the answer it's you guys. 

I am in the business of selling good ole American lumber and other US building materials around the world, mostly to Asia.  I have a customer in China who buys a ton of 6x6" dimension Western Red Cedar, which he turns into decking, outdoor furniture, gazebos, etc. for high-end Chinese houses.  Pretty cool stuff!  Anyway, he now has 6 x 6 x mixed length blocks of cedar left over as scrap, and hates to see precious wood go to waste.  He saw a video of a cedar shingle machine online and now thinks that's his best option.  He has a factory with industrial woodworking equipment including some Wood-Mizer brand equipment, but not a mill.

I looked around online and talked to a few people and it seems that most shingle machines are attachments to existing mill equipment.  So, I was not able to find a convenient stand-alone shingle machine that would be convenient to ship over, bolt down, and turn on.  I know it's never that easy, but you get the idea – we're not looking to build a mill here. 

I would love any suggestions for a shingle saw, if anyone thinks that's still a good option.  If you have a good deal for us then let me know.  If you like I'll take you over to China with me to install it and get it running. 

Alternatively, If you have any better re-use options for 6 x 6 x mixed blocks of cedar I would love to hear them. 

Thanks for your time, 

David

Larry

Welcome to the Forestry Forum David.

I watched a Cooks video just the other day that was showing off there re-saw.  They had a belt that ran blocks through the machine to produce shingles.  There a sponsor and you can find a link over to the left bout half way down.

Quote from: DavidJ on June 09, 2012, 04:36:45 PM
If you like I'll take you over to China with me to install it and get it running. 

I would take you up on that offer but Kathy gets nervous when I cross the state line.  I don't think she would like me in China at all :(.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

laffs

You can buy used shingle mills in the $3,500 to $6,000 range.

A guy down the road has a shingle mill and he sells all he can make.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Magicman

I can't help you but, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, DavidJ.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shelbycharger400

circle blade shingle mill is the fastest route weather its horizontal or verticle.
kinda dangerous tho, although lots of people standing in line just to work in china.. lol

i kinda like the video of norwoods shingle maker and woodmizers.   

personally, if i roof something, its going to be asphalt or steel.   i dont like bein on the roof.. even mine at only 13 ft at the peak.

how long is his 6x6 left over blocks?
ive seen kids playhouses built from short logs that are 4 to 6 ft.

DavidJ

You guys are the best.  Thanks to all for the warm welcomes and the great suggestions!

I like the looks of the Cook's resaw, and the Wood Mizer HR120 (maybe w/ electric power, and auto return/table package?).  With either option I think it would be great to also be able to make lap siding.  If anyone has experience or comments about either the Cook's or Wood Mizer resaw options I'm all ears. 

Thanks again!

David

schmism

from what i can tell the best deal is still the old school shingle mill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu2Ezj__hLE

Mike row did a dirty jobs episode were they went to a modern factory and they had like 6 of them running in a row.

is there any other way to do it efficiently?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Thank You Sponsors!