iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bandmill drivers

Started by sawdust, October 08, 2006, 08:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

I am trying to build my bandsaw to be used on my shingle mill and as a resaw. So I wish to build my bandsaw with a vertical orientation. However, my motor drive sprocket restricts where the engine can be situated. Of course the engine is in the way! I am assuming that normally the driven wheel pulls the band through the timber, can I drive the other wheel? By doing this I can get the engine up out of the way of the timber and also the sawdust. I realize this then extends the extra 'pull' around the other wheel before reaching the cut.

Thoughts?

sawdust.

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

wiam

My home made mill pushes the blade.  It works but I think I could run lower tension if I pulled it.  I run backwards so I can go into clean wood after the first cut.  I would do it differently if starting over.

Will

Tom

I know what you are talking about "pushing".  In effect, you are still pulling, it is just that you are pulling around an idle wheel. 

What I would be concerned about is, If You did get yourself in the position of "pushing " the blade, It might bunch up in front of the timber.  If it did, it would be a catastrophe. 

What might cause it is over-driving the ability of the blade to cut, cutting with a dull blade, running into a knot, getting bound in twisted grain, :) or having the blade break.

It might work OK as long as everything is running true to form, but, it seems that never happens for long.

The better idea is to encapsulate the band in a solid shroud and engineer the sawdust chute to get the sawdust away from the head of the machine.  Engineer the power pulleys to be outside of the "war zone" that is inside of the shroud.

Doesn't the use of belts, for power, allow a more friendly placement of the engine?

Fla._Deadheader

Photos might getcha some better ideas.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbowl

QuoteI wish to build my bandsaw with a vertical orientation.

I think a small vertical band saw opens up a whole new world of possibilities, especially in the portable bandsaw area.

Slabs, lumber and shingles comming off the side uses gravity as the helper and elliminates some labor, but would require the need for a conveyor or other means to clear the area.

I only know of one small vertical mill. (1 1/4" band)  http://scieriemsp.com//indexang.htm Other vertical bandmills like Sanborn ect. are much larger and use a 5" and wider band.

I don't see the advantage of it as of  yet, but I'm hoping that more vertical band mills will be built, tested and proven in the future. Hope this helps.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sawdust

Thanks for all the pointers. I was trying to keep the engine at the bottom for ballast. That machine fromQuebec is slick. I wonder if it could be built as a cantilever? I really liked his board catcher, possibly put a belt under it? Slabs out one end reverse to lumber out the other.
I will post pictures as soon as I have something other than my pile of parts to photograph!
I am looking for new sprockets for the Honda 450cc, the existing ones are badly worn. I don't think they will be hard to find.
Belts would be best they even have a little shock absorption but in order to reverse direction they have to be quite long or they abrade themselves quickly. Don't know that I could find a pulley that would fit the splines on the driveshaft.

Happy thanks giving all!

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!