iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new truck

Started by bigred1951, June 29, 2013, 05:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

well guys i finally got a new to me truck   ;D its a 1974 ford f600 dump truck  8) 330 v8 with a 4 speed 2 speed rear. Truck runs and drives like a dream. Its so quiet and smooth running. But im gonna fix that being quiet part when ever i get a little cash for exhaust haha. Im not sure what im gonna do with it yet i was planning on trying to sell or trade it but its really growing on me and bringing back memories of the one my papaw had when i was little so i think i might hang on to it for a little while and see if i can make a little extra cash on the side. If you cant tell im very pleased and happy with it.

clww

Congratulations on the new truck and on your birthday today, too. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

samandothers

Happy Birthday Big Red!

Congrats on the truck!   You have an afliction, the red it your veins is from rust.  I like it! 

Keep up the good work.

sawguy21

I drove a similar truck with a wrecker deck. A  little sluggish on the hills with a load but it earned it's keep.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandhills

Sorry I missed the birthday but a happy belated one, dad has a 600 grain tuck with that engine think it's a '68, you'll love it and I would love to have one. 

celliott

Hey Bigred, I got a new to me truck recently too  ;D except mine is big and blue.
Picked up a 1976 F250 highboy, with a 390 V8 and a 4 speed, with a divorced transfer case.  It's got 36" military humvee tires on it, and armstrong power steering  ::) The nose is off a 1978, but it is a 1976.

My dog has become real attached to my truck, real fast. It's "his truck" now  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

clww

I'd get a 77-79 gas tank installed and plumbed in that "new" blue truck if it was me. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

celliott

Quote from: clww on June 30, 2013, 02:07:03 PM
I'd get a 77-79 gas tank installed and plumbed in that "new" blue truck if it was me. ;)

Are those tanks larger? 16 gallons doesn't bring you very far with this truck  ::)
The bed isn't original either, I believe. It has a fuel door and filler on it, but no tank back there.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

clww

If its already a newer bed, which it sounds like, LMC offers one that will hold 38 gallons.
I'd ditch the original, as it is a major safety hazard.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawguy21

Was the gearing changed when the big meats went on? If not it will be hard on clutches. You will develop arms like Popeye driving it. ;D

celliott

bigred1951, It looks like I'm hijacking your thread.... sorry about that.
Figured I ought to start my own thread, as this one is about reds 1974 F600 Dump Truck (Which we would all love to see some pictures of  :) )
Here is the new thread  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,67557.new.html#new

bigred, any plans to work the F600? Or just enjoy having a sweet old truck?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

bigred1951

steal it away haha i love these old fords. Im not sure what im gonna do with it yet. Probably just drive it around and look good might try to make a little money with it. I traded a 78 ford f250 camper special supercab to it.

snowstorm

Quote from: celliott on June 30, 2013, 01:11:12 PM
Hey Bigred, I got a new to me truck recently too  ;D except mine is big and blue.
Picked up a 1976 F250 highboy, with a 390 V8 and a 4 speed, with a divorced transfer case.  It's got 36" military humvee tires on it, and armstrong power steering  ::) The nose is off a 1978, but it is a 1976.

My dog has become real attached to my truck, real fast. It's "his truck" now  :D
i had a 75 1/2 ton had 10k miles on it when i bought it. most had 360's in them. the 390 was a much better motor. all the 360.s had 2 bbl carbs. when mine had 55k miles on it it broke a rod poked a hole thru the block knocked the starter off and i still drove it home 25miles. it had power assist steering. it never worked well so i put a power steering box on it from a 79

sawguy21

The 390 is a torque monster. The boss sent me out with a new to us F-250 with the four speed, I assumed it had the 352 with a 2bbl. Stepped into it at an intersection and it did a 180:o The one thing it will not do is pass gas stations.

Thank You Sponsors!