iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How To Cut RxR Ties

Started by plaindriver, July 01, 2013, 10:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

Is there an easy way to cut RxR ties? Especially one in the ground? How about on a sawhorse? Im thinkin they will dull a chainsaw in no time. My 77 circular saw is only 7.25" to depth of cut is little more than 2", and the ties are 8x8. A carborendum blade might work, but I would need an 18' or so blade. That would be a monster circular saw. Im stumped.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

beenthere

Not an easy way.
How old are the ties?  Are they used as posts, or as ties?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

I cut them on occasion and try to find an old beat up chain for my chainsaw. They WILL wreck a chain, so don't use a new one.

Allan

Brucer

You can buy chains with carbide teeth. They're expensive. You will need a proper chain grinder to sharpen them.

Did I say they were expensive :o.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ron Wenrich

Why do you want to cut it?  There would have to be a mighty serious reason for me to even think about cutting one up.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

reride82

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on July 02, 2013, 05:32:55 AM
Why do you want to cut it?  There would have to be a mighty serious reason for me to even think about cutting one up.

I agree, They are not always treated all the way to the center, and the thought of creosote sawdust makes me cringe...
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

tree-farmer

word of CAUTION
I used RR ties to build retaining wall along driveway some years back. These were old re-cycled ties. Hot summer day and was using chainsaw with old chain, but being hot was wearing shorts. I know, bad idea shorts and sawing. What got me though was the creasote in the timbers.
Chips hitting my legs with this in them gave me a skin burn about like a bad sunburn. Did not really show up untill later in day. Of course not much sympathy from wife who had said something about shorts being the wrong attire for sawing anyway. Hate it when shes right.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

plaindriver

Quote from: beenthere on July 01, 2013, 11:01:45 PM
Not an easy way.
How old are the ties?  Are they used as posts, or as ties?

There are RxR ties to outline the pkg area and driveway at my house. (Prev owner) They are odd sizes with non std angle cuts on the ends to go around trees etc. They are gettin very worn, tired and basically rotted out.

Im now thinkin I will just replace them with some of my whack that isnt good mill stock. I suppose a green log (wht oak or maple) with bark is almost as good as a tie, and mucho easier to work with.

Thanks for all the tips.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Thank You Sponsors!