iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tuesday Milling

Started by Paschale, January 12, 2005, 02:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Today was a great day for Sawing 8) 8)

Got about 350 BF of Red Oak 6/4 cut and stacked this afternoon.  Not bad for 3 hours by myself.  Most of it was 14' lengths.  Little on the heavy side since most of it was 10-12" wide.

Once I finished on the Red Oak I put one of the Behemith White Oaks on the mill.  Had to widdle on it a bit to get it ready for some rift sawing in the morning.

Got some great looking slabs.  I think I will save these for some scroll work!

This one comes tomarrow!  It measures 30" on the small end and 38 on the but end.  It will need some chain saw work :(

End of the day!

Today was a day of therapy.  I was getting the shakes real bad after being shut out from cutting for so long.  Satudays pole cutting in the cold just wasnt the fix I needed.
 ;D

WV_hillbilly

Nice pics  Kirk .  I had to have some of that sawdust therapy on Sunday afternoon. It was in the 20's and it was great . I wanted to do it Saturday but the weather was to bad , just had to look out the window at the logs .  :(   Come on weekend  .
Hillbilly

Furby

Well I went out to finish up the last four logs that have been sitting on the deck for a couple of weeks now.

Almost done with the second log and Ooooooops!

Wasn't sure what happened as it was different then anything I've hit/broke in the past.
Took the blade gards off to find the collar that hols the drive wheel on, came off with the drive wheel close behind! :o
Not sure why the collar came loose, but the brass washer is missing and there are some wear marks where the drive dub and collar were rubbing.
Berings look totally fine, spin easy with no play. They did however get some sawdust between the berings.
Can I just wash these out with some thinner or gas just like wheel berings??? Then follow up with compressed air and repack.

Need to find a new brass washer, and may replace the collar, need to look it orver better first.

Paschale

Man, Kirk, those slabs look amazing!   8)  Should be some cool scrollwork projects in there--can't wait to see 'em!

Furby, sorry about that...it's a bummer for sure!   :(  Hope some guys will have an answer for ya!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Curlywoods

You guys and all of those pretty trees to cut.........I am green with envy for sure  ;D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Furby

Come on up for the pig roast and leave several days on either side to stop by a few places.  ;)

Kirk_Allen

Well to day was a great day of Spruce cutting!  Cut and stacked right at 950 BF today by myself............again 8)
I am down to 19 Spruce logs left.  Cant wait to be done with this sticky stuff.  Great looking wood but it sure makes a mess of everything.

I should have all of it finished by Saturday provided I can get out of the office a few more days this week.  Next project.............................THE SHOP 8) 8) 8)

This is one stack of 3 that I have that are 17 foot long 2x material. Mostly 2x6 but did cut some 2x8 and a few 2x12's.  Just couldnt see whacking them big wide boards down ;D  This stack is 8 feet high 8)

This is one stack of 2 that I have of 6x6 17 footers.  Starting to get into a problem with the height.  I cant lift them any higher.  That stack is 6 1/2" high.

I have come to the conclusion that I HAVE to get my shop built because this old Chicken Barn is running out of room 8) 8)

Curlywoods

New shop will be full of wood at the rate that you are sawing and hording lumber  :D  Sell some of that wood so that those chickens can have a place to sleep  8)
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

ronwood

Would have to agree with Curlywoods on that one!!!!    :) :) :) :)
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

tnlogger

kirk thst surenuff is a good stack of lumber.  8) would that be a A.S.S. hiding in the corner there.
  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
gene

Kirk_Allen

Good Eyes tn.  That tool saved me lots of time! Its a winner!

Hey Curly, want to buy some wood ;D

Cut all morning today and got shut out be some rain.  Put up another 500 bf.  8 Logs to go 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I am down to the small stuff so Im whacking out lots of 2x4's.  Cant wait to start building 8) 8)

Minnesota_boy

Kirk,
Remember how you said that spruce sawed easy?  Well son, it's time for you to pick up the pace.  950 bf. of 2"  by yourself?  I'd have sawn that much by noon by myself and stacked and stickered it too.  Make that blade sing!
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kirk_Allen

Minnesota Boy I think you should just bring your happy butt down this way and show me how it done ;D

I have 8 small log left and if it doesnt rain tomarrow I will be ALL DONE with this spruce.  I am one sore puppy ;D

Minnesota_boy

Kirk,
If I weren't wo far behind in my sawing and if you had enough logs to be worth the 15 hour drive, I'd be tempted to come show you how to saw 2500 bd-ft in a day.  Thought I'd do that today.  Started the day by getting to the site at 7:30 this morning.  Took a coffee break at 9:30, had 497 bd-ft of 2" pine and spruce sawed and loaded on the customer's trailer, plus about 150 bd-ft or 1".  Took my lunch break at 11:30 and the count on the 2" was up to 941 bd-ft.  The customer's father showed up then and I helped him hook up to and move another wagon into position for the shorter material.  Had to chat for a while so lunch break got a bit longer than I had intended, but I was back sawing by 12:15.  At 2:30 I sotpped for another coffee and counted the boards on the trailer again.  1541 bd-ft of 2" plus an estimated 250 bd-ft of 1".  At 4:00 the customer stopped in and checked the boards over.  I talked with him until it was too late to start in again so I called it a day with only 1750 bd-ft of 2" on the trailers, plus about 350 to 400 bd-ft of 1".  The customer said he would take it home tonight and stack it so I have an empty trailer to start tomorrow.  ;D

Kirk_Allen

Enough Logs? :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have enough to keep you busy for several months ;D  Come on down 8)
15 hours?  Where on earth are you located?  I can be in NY City in 14 hours from hear. Oh, you must drive like you saw...............................SLOW ;D

I think you missed something on my production numbers.  Not only did I cut the lumber, I stacked and stickered EVERY board in the barn.  That means each board, or in some cases 4 at a time, were carried into the barn, which is 40-50 feet from the mill, then stacked and stickered.  Then I have to take the slabs over to the slab pile that is about 60 feet from the mill so I can load another log and keep cutting.

If I was simply cutting lumber and throwing it on a trailer I think I would be putting a whoopin on you ;D

Minnesota_boy

Kirk,
Yup, I drive plenty slow with a mill behind.  As i get older I find that I don't need to get there so fast with the mill as I'm much more effieient than I youster be.  I can put in an 8 hour day in only about 6 1/2 hours now.

I'd be tempted to take you up on the challenge, but I'm getting too Dang old to hurry anymore so I'm pretty sure you'd whup me.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!