iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Lt15 blade roller heating up

Started by Woodpecker52, August 10, 2019, 11:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodpecker52

I put on a 4degree band on my woodmizer Lt15 mill, It was a 1 1/2 inch wide instead of the 1 1/4 inch I normally use.  I noticed that the blade guide roller next to the drive wheel was hotter than the tension wheel side roller.  I think it was 190 degrees vs. 98 for other.  I used the same tension I always use, and when I switched back to 1 1/4 inch the roller ran about the same at 98.  My question is this normal for using a wider band all things staying the same without any adjustment to roller guides etc.  The last thing I want to do is start monkeying with adjustments. I also do not want to damage the rollers by running a wider band if it causes the roller to heat up.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Southside

I am thinking the band was applying more stress towards the outside of the roller and the bearing was not happy, just a theory. How wide is your roller? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Would not the wider bands have more overhang when centering up and the band wheels and therefor possibly be scrubbing the back flange on the guide roller a little hard?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodpecker52

The rollers were made for the 1 1/4 band the 1 1/2 inch teeth stand out and the front of the roller is hotter than the rear and I noticed the bolt temps are the same normal temps for both, so it is exterior heating from band vs any interior problem.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

I guess I could get larger guide rollers but I really do not want to do that,  I was just shocked that there would be such a difference in adding 1/4 inch to a blade diameter.  I do not like the wider bands so far.

Mike W

Being the drive side roller is heating and not the tension side, have to lean towards what Southside mentioned, the distance from the drive side roller to the bandwheel is much closer then the tension side, seems the wider band is applying higher pressure at the front of the roller while the band is trying to stay centered on the bandwheel.  The tension side bandwheel to the roller may have enough distance from wheel to roller to allow a more balanced pressure to the roller.  Possible run the adjustment all the way out closest to the tension wheel side and test again to see if that roller heats up similar to the drive side roller?

Thank You Sponsors!