iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have any of you guys ever broken a set of logging tongs

Started by Dan_Shade, February 06, 2005, 05:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

stupid question, I know, but i'm looking at a few options...

this one's forged, opens to 25 inches : http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=35154&R=35154

this one is high carbon steel opens to 32": http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200307445&R=200307445

I'd like to get a set of these, but not sure if I should or not, I've got an old cross tie carrier that works pretty well, my grandfather or somebody welded a chain to it years ago so you can use it to drag as well, but it's got the "handles" in the way, and it only opens to like 20" or so.

chances are, the non-forged ones are fine, but I can see bad things happening if one were to break while pulling with a cable...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

chet

I got a set of da Dixie forged ones. I'm very happy with them.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Cedarman

About 15 years ago I was pulling logs with a Massey Furgeson equipment mover.  Its a weird thing that fits on the 3 point hitch arms and has a 2 to 3 foot pivoting arm. I had some chains and on one chain had hooked a set of log tongs.  When I was headed out of the woods I caught one of the logs on a stump and it snapped the hook on the log tong right off.  Sure made the tractor jump.

I would think that the longer the cable the more whiplash to be expected if it were to break.  It would not be any different than a choker breaking.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

We use the 25" ones you put the link to. I doubt if you have anything strong enough to break them. I am looking for a set of 36" tongs, that have that same hook angle. We use them for pulling the logs from the bottom of the river. I can flat-out stall the 15000# winch, and they just sit and take it. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dan_Shade

ok, thanks guys, I ordered a set of the 25" ones by dixie industries

next I'm gonna have to get one of those nice logrite cant hooks everybody around here rages about :)

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Dan,

You should check out Milt's Chain Saw on Route 235.

He has just about every thing you will need.

He is also sells and services Sthil saws.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Dan_Shade

hmm, I've been up there, I think I spent enough money up there fixing up my used 066 to where I coulda bought a new one (well, almost...)

I shoulda went up there to see what his costs, I've seen them leaning up against the door, probably could have saved on shipping.

Gilman

Dan,
They both look forged to me, I think they just didn't mention the forging part on the the second item. 
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Ga_Boy

Dan,

The skidding tongs I bought from Milt's cost $80.00.

I did not check out the link you put up so I don't know how this compares in cost.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Tom

I wore out the "cold-shuts" that hold the ring on.  Fixed them though.  Replaced them with 3 links of 3/8 car-haulerl chain on each side and new cold-shuts.  The reason for the chain was because the original cold-shuts were twisted (on purpose) and all I could find were straight ones.  I've tested them in lifting (still am carefull) and the chain works good to turn a log around that is hanging from my back hoe. :)

Thank You Sponsors!