iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing walnut

Started by 9shooter, June 29, 2004, 03:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I'm going to fell a couple of walnuts in the next week and it occured to me that I might want to leave a generous stump so that I can saw some rifle stock blanks out of the root ball/ stump. Have any of youse guys done this? How much stump would you leave above the root bole?
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Buzz-sawyer

I just had one dug out, it has about 2 feet...but that is not neccisary...the curly stuff is down below surface level...were the roots go in all directions :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tagerts_crossing

The only reason I can think of to leave the stump a little tall when trying to get the root ball is if it will help you get it out.  Like a place to hook chains,cables or for the leverage.  If you have the equip to dig it out may not be nessary.  A fresh stump of much size comes out hard,  I have a D6 cat and a JD410 hoe and still have a little trouble.  I have found using a chain saw out 3 feet or so on the roots helps alot (chain is toast after).  John
John Schoolcraft

ARKANSAWYER

To get a stock out of a stump you need a pretty big stump.  Also you need large roots that go out the side and there is where you get the best stock material.  You may find that the wood that you leave in a tall stump may be worth more hooked to the butt cut as lumber.  It is a crap shoot and you just have to guess.  Large limbs and crotch wood will make a good stock so leave big limbs about 2 ft long.    I got some root balls I will go take a photo and show you.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Went to get a photo and got side tracked.  But I did get this one.   It is small but shows what you are looking for.  Good ones are about the size of your leg and the bigger the bend the better.
ARKANSAWYER
  I was going to put a photo in but it would not let me.   ???
ARKANSAWYER

sigidi

Arky after you have re-sized yourimage to be less than 20K, click on additional options, then chose the browse button to find the pic on your puter and ok it all then post your reply - the pic will show when you post

OK then - just went to post you pic of the additional options and I don't get the option to  :'( :'( :(
Always willing to help - Allan

Furby

Pics are turned off for the time being, I belive. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!