iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Down Under Machines

Started by dgdrls, March 26, 2013, 08:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

"I really Like what the fellows in NZ and Australia have going, Lucas, Mahoe, Peterson and Rimu.
they all build a dandy mill.   I really like the Mahoe and Rimu designs, they're portable, load on a truck easily,
and are proven designs."

I posted this earlier in the week under "Beam Saw Mobility"  I was hoping the contingency from the Southern Hemisphere
would weigh in with some input and comments especially related to the Mahoe and Rimu mills.
Any of the 4 would be great mills but as always more info and experiences from actual users
is always welcome,

Thanks
DGDrls

Jay C. White Cloud

Could you help me find links to Mahoe and Rimu saw mills, I have never seen them?

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Ianab

Mahoe http://www.sawmills.co.nz/

Rimu http://www.rimuengineering.co.nz/default.asp

Both mills are quite popular here, and like the Swing Blades they are able to handle the larger logs. With the automated drive and twin blades they are not as cheap as the swing blades, but they can sure produce some boards if you have big logs to load under them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jay C. White Cloud

Thank's Ian, you are great!!
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

sigidi

Quote from: dgdrls on March 26, 2013, 08:45:43 PM
"I really Like what the fellows in NZ and Australia have going, Lucas, Mahoe, Peterson and Rimu.
they all build a dandy mill.   I really like the Mahoe and Rimu designs, they're portable, load on a truck easily,
and are proven designs."

I posted this earlier in the week under "Beam Saw Mobility"  I was hoping the contingency from the Southern Hemisphere
would weigh in with some input and comments especially related to the Mahoe and Rimu mills.
Any of the 4 would be great mills but as always more info and experiences from actual users
is always welcome,

Thanks
DGDrls

Sorry mate, I didn't read that one  :o

but personally I've only used one of the four - bet ya can't guess which one?!?!?!?  ;D
I did have a chat with a fella out in the bush who ran a Mahoe, and like Ian said, Mahoe's can chew through a pile of big logs pretty fast, but for me who moves around a lot, not knowing where I'll be cutting in 3 days time, I love the speed and flexibility of my Lucas
Always willing to help - Allan

JustinW_NZ

Rimu mills are made about an hours drive from me funnily enuf :)

The Mahoe mills are quite something but from memory last time I looked the super mill wasn't that cheap neither..
I was sat next to one at a logging show recently with my LT-40 doing demos at the show, I did like the design and it could sure make sawdust fly.
The amount of sawdust was scary for a bandsaw operator like myself!  :o
But yes, Ideal machines for sitting on big logs and carving them up.
oh - setup and take down was real easy and quick on the Mahoe too.

The rimu's I have never seen run (in the flesh on logs) I think there's one around here I know off but otherwise the Peterson WPF seems to be the most common, and there are one or two Mahoe units around as well.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Thank You Sponsors!