iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

That's it, I'm done

Started by moosehunter, November 02, 2019, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

with road sawing for the season. Every year I have a few road jobs over the winter months but it is always a hassle scheduling because I won't pull the mill when the roads are crummy. So this year the mill will stay in it's shed and only run when someone brings me logs.
Anyone else shut down seasonally?

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

terrifictimbersllc

Not really. But this year with a brand new mill and some perspective I am not going out when the roads are all slimed up with the corrosive liquids they use up here. It can wait for dry and clear.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

I am when the logs are hard as a rock killing the blade trying to cut them.
If the snow is too deep or I'm just sick of it. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I do not saw during the Winter months!

Any day now, the mill will be parked in the back section of the garage!

During the Winter, I always do a complete alignment on the mill, but this year I have plans on replacing all six of the cam-followers, then doing the alignment!

The mill will likely stay in the garage until late March or early April.

I've cut way back on the amount of sawing that I do through a season!

I have a cousin that I will refer a lot of my jobs over to!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

Latitude has a lot to do with it. As long as the logs aren't frozen and the roads aren't slick, I will saw all winter.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I try to make the last of June, July, and August my non-sawing months.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

For the past seven years I made that my unwavering policy. When they start salting the roads my season is over. I have shot down in the winter as early as November 25th and as late as Janyary 4th. There are too many exposed electrical and other components that would just rust to crap because of the road salt. I know I could wash the mill, but than it would just be covered with ice. No thank you. Most people around here stop building right around that time anyway, so I am not missing out on much work.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Sixacresand

I slow down during the Summer heat. 

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

customsawyer

Don't shut down. Keep hammering all year. I think I like to suffer.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bruno of NH

I'm like Peter going to the logs get to frozen and hard on the bands.
If I get to cold , hope to do some shop work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Im stationary and mill is 1/2 mile from the nearest road, so the deep snow we get precludes sawing in the winter not to mention the cold and the fact that I am hanging it up.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!