iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roma Tomatoes

Started by Gary_C, October 05, 2009, 02:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Does anyone actually like them?

Last year my wife bought and planted all Roma's and I complained about them every time I ate them. But she likes them because they are supposed to be low acid. I think they are juiceless and taste like paper.

So this year she planted half Roma's and another regular type. And it has not been a good year for tomatoes although we have finally been getting some more ripen. But the regular tomatoes disappear fast and all that is left for eating is the Roma's. Yesterday she canned all the good tomatoes and all that's left for eating is those DanG Roma's. :(

So what kind of tomatoes do you like?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Radar67

I planted some romas this year. They are specifically for cooking with, not a good raw eating tomato. I use them in my omlets and they give it a differnt taste than regular tomatoes. Now for a sandwich, give me a good heirloom tomato or none at all.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ely

i like to eat all tomatoes except roma. and when i am out of other tomatoes i like romas just fine. ;D its gonna be along winter :-[

Dan_Shade

i'm not a big fan of roma's either.

I've heard they are very good if dehydrated, though.  Never tried it myself.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

I still grow a roma type tomato called san marzano. It works well for making pizza sauce but to be honest I've gone to using better boy for almost all of my canning and fresh eating. This year almost all of my tomatoes died right after the fruit just started to ripen. The san marzano's held up the best of any.

I grew brandywine tomatoes last year after hearing the rave reviews about them. I was not impressed and did not plant them again this year.

WDH

For me, the Better Boys are better.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Roma's are great addition to regular mator's when making juice...but for eatin...naw.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

zopi

Next year...et yourself some Amish Paste tomatoes...

Better..skip it and buy cherokee blacks..i passed one out to some lady friends of mine at work and
rally was concerned about escaping with my virginity...

Ok..not so much, but you get the picture..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Norm on October 05, 2009, 05:45:22 PM
I still grow a roma type tomato called san marzano. It works well for making pizza sauce but to be honest I've gone to using better boy for almost all of my canning and fresh eating. This year almost all of my tomatoes died right after the fruit just started to ripen. The san marzano's held up the best of any.

I grew brandywine tomatoes last year after hearing the rave reviews about them. I was not impressed and did not plant them again this year.

I had the same problem this year   >:(  >:(

I did plant a bunch of San Marzano's and they survived. I have been using them for about 10 years now. I get good yields and nice lookin' fruit. We like the taste, especially with fresh motzarella cheese and balsamic vineger with fresh basil.

They make a very sweet sauce when cooked down.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Reddog

Quote from: Burlkraft on October 06, 2009, 09:34:46 AM
We like the taste, especially with fresh motzarella cheese and balsamic vineger with fresh basil.

They make a very sweet sauce when cooked down.

That sounds good. food1 smiley_thumbsup
I have the same thoughts as Burlkraft.

WDH

I will have what Burlkraft is having as well.  Oh, and I would like a sweet tea to go with that  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

I think Romas are the ones they use to make catsup and tomato paste, historically.  Those things usually depend on other ingredients to provide their flavors, such as vinegar and spices.  Their dependability as a crop was probably much of the reason for that, originally.  Nowadays, the commercial tomatoes don't even have a name, just a number, and it is different from year to year.  Most of the quality problem with them, by the time the consumer gets ahold of them is the result of green picking.  I've been fortunate enough to get into the fields from time to time and pick some ripe ones, and they are quite good, but a little bit low on acid.

For slicing, give me a good ol' Homestead any day.  For canning, Rutgers is kinda hard to beat.  Both of these are heirloom varieties, so the risk of crop failure is higher than with some of the hybrids.  The big advantage of Rutgers for canning is that they are of uniform, small size, and they all ripen at the same time.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Modat22

roma is my favorite canning tomatoe  8)

Also fantastic in Ocra and Tomatoes
remember man that thy are dust.

Sprucegum

Roma is the best-tasting tomato I can grow here although I must admit I don't give my garden the attention it needs. I guess I reap what I sow and can't complain  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!