iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ruffed Grouse.

Started by Jeff, October 16, 2016, 06:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I spent a few days up at the cabin this week doing some brush thinning . I had a chance to do a little bird hunting and was lucky enough to go 3 for 3 with the old cabin 16gauge.

I tried a new way to cook them and it is the best way I have ever found. Simply cut in small boneless pieces, dredged in flour with a little garlic powder, then friend in butter and sprinkle with Tony's Cajun seasoning. It cooks in 3-5 minutes. That's what Tammy and I had for supper tonight.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

MMMmmm, da secret ingredient is a secret no more.   :)  Looks mmmm good.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Looks tasty. You know what would really go good with them (as it does with any fish or game) would be a big old side dish of grits and maybe some hushpuppies.,
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandhills

Sounds great, They're my favorite game bird to eat, not to mention fun to hunt too!

WmFritz

Nice shooting...I'm pretty good on them too (as long as they're roosting in a tree).
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Chuck White

Roughed Grouse is some really good eating!

I usually cook it, breasted out and the top part of the legs in butter, a little salt and pepper.  If I were to get lucky and get some more, I'll likely try the Tony's Cajun Seasoning, sounds good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

cbla

I am heading out later today for a bird hunt (if we don't get the heavy rain) if I get some I will give this recipe a go. looks good.

Magicman

But that recipe won't work without Tony Chacheres Seasoning.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DeerMeadowFarm

I love Partridge hunting and eating! We don't have very many in Mass anymore. I used to go up to Maine every Columbus Day weekend to hunt them when we used to get that day as a holiday. It's been 11 years since I took a trip north just to hunt them. I often said if/when I retire to Maine I'd give up archery hunting for deer just to focus on Partridge.

Last year, we finally smartened up and put an old single shot 20 gage in the truck that we'd keep at the ready when we drove the dirt roads to and from our deer hunting locations. We managed to get one the first day out (Saturday) that we ate for breakfast the next day.
Here is my "secret" recipe:

Cut boneless chunks about 3/4" square. Wrap each chunk with a slice of bacon and fasten with a toothpick. Fry. These are good as appetizers (Flying pigs? Bird in a blanket?) but for breakfast if you make some French Toast smothered with butter and real Maple Syrup, it can't be beat.

I'm sure you all know how to clean them in the field right?

Jeff

Step on da wings and pull da feet. :)

DeerMeadowFarm

Jeff

You instantly get everything worth saving. I suppose if I was on naked and afraid I might pluck one and try to eat those little protein bits you might miss doing it the easy way.

Jeff

I need to add, That ain't ever happening!

DeerMeadowFarm

The key to the step on the wings part (in my experience) is to ensure you are stepping on the "shoulder(?)" where the wing attaches otherwise, you are liable to just pull the wings off. I've had it happen when the shot has busted that area up as well.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Jeff on October 21, 2016, 08:48:35 AM
I need to add, That ain't ever happening!
Thank you!

That show is bizarre to me. If I found myself in the woods naked I think one of my priorities would be to make some clothing!

I thought I had a picture of last year's breakfast bird:

cbla

Quote from: Magicman on October 21, 2016, 08:02:59 AM
But that recipe won't work without Tony Chacheres Seasoning.   ;D

I will have to find a alternative for that. :)

coxy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 16, 2016, 11:29:49 PM
   Looks tasty. You know what would really go good with them (as it does with any fish or game) would be a big old side dish of GRITS and maybe some hushpuppies.,
dadgum you, Charlie! no_no no_no no_no :D :D

Magicman

Quote from: cbla on October 21, 2016, 09:17:37 AMI will have to find a alternative for that. :) 
There is no alternative for Tony Chacheres Seasoning.  Maybe you need to order some.   ;D

Jeff

This is true. I didn't know that until I found out via the talents of a Magic Lady.

cbla

Quote from: Magicman on October 21, 2016, 08:51:22 PM
Quote from: cbla link=topic=92755.msg1429786#msg1429786
date=1477055857
I will have to find a alternative for that. :) 
There is no alternative for Tony Chacheres Seasoning.  Maybe you need to order some.   ;D
[/quote
Well, I will have to order some and give it a try.

newoodguy78

Definitely worth ordering some up. There isn't much it doesn't go well with. 8)

cbla

I got some Tony Chachere's creole seasoning yesterday in the mail and yes this stuff is good. Now hopefully this weekend I will get some Ruffed Grouse.

Magicman

:)  At least you got the best part because Tony's is good on anything.   food6

Hopefully you will get the grouse.   ;)

Jeff

This past weekend we used it to season a dish of ground venison fried with onions and mushrooms, with a can of mushroom soup over rice.  Awesomesauce!

WLC

I use Tony's on literally everything.  I use is as a replacement for salt and pepper.  Heck, I'd almost put it on my corn flakes.  It's really good on cheese grits too.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

WDH

Quote from: WLC on November 16, 2016, 04:26:31 AM
It's really good on cheese grits too.

Now you have started something.  You are going to get the grits bashers riled up. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dnalley

I keep reading this and the same thought always comes to mind....how in the world does anybody go three for three on ruffed grouse?  I've flushed a few back in my youth when hiking in the north Georgia mountains and I can't remember a one that I thought I could have hit with a gun.  Kinda like a quail on steroids; by the time you recover from the explosion of the bird leaving for the next county, he's already loooong gone!  Boss has gotta be quick and a mighty fine shot.  I'm impressed.

WLC

Quote from: WDH on November 16, 2016, 07:44:17 AM
Quote from: WLC on November 16, 2016, 04:26:31 AM
It's really good on cheese grits too.

Now you have started something.  You are going to get the grits bashers riled up.

;D  They just don't know what they are missing.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

SwampDonkey

We drop'm in whipped egg, then roll them in Ritz crumbs with Parmesan cheese. Drop'm on the frying pan with butter. Mmm, nice and juicy. Way better bird than any chicken you ate.  ;D  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I have not hunted grouse in years. What I used to do was go get cover type maps of the forest area I hunt and locate old logging roads no one can drive.  The areas were hardwood clearcuts with some fir undergrowth and lots of birch as well as the roads had to be a bit wet with alders in the ditches. Man I was never skunked. First because I learned where to go for the most success, I hunted on foot, and the birds were far less skiddish away from settlements.  8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cbla

well I managed to get 3 this past weekend and tried the recipe....  8)

I usually walk the logging roads and target the roads with lots of young White Birch. The Grouse take to the trees about a hour before dark for the seed catkins. They are far less skittish when they are in the trees.

SwampDonkey

cbla

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Thank You Sponsors!