iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

house is done

Started by bman, April 09, 2007, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bman

Wow, about two years ago I started my timber framing project house from the ground up and finished it (final inspection) last Nov.  Project started from felling trees on property for frame, roof and flooring to final fit and finish- 20 months, whew! Thank you to all who shared your wisdom and knowledge in response to my posts over those twenty months. Will try and post some pics, thanks again bman. 8)

WDH

Wow is right ;D.  Looks good, bman.  Now you get to enjoy the fruits of all that labor.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bman

OK for what its worth I think I successfully put a bunch of pictures of the project in my gallery, I think, yes there they are, I think...

thecfarm

Yes,the pictures are there.Wow,is right.I see you had some good size logs to cut your timbers from.Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LedlieLogs

Very nice Bman. Now take a break, your task is done.
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Thomas-in-Kentucky

Awesome bman!  Those are some beefy beams and braces.  I love "go-thick" architecture.  :)

What did you use for insulation?

-Thomas

Sprucegum

20 months  :o  8)

You must have worked on it 24/7 , you gonna take a nap now?

TexasTimbers

Nice work! You and I are about on the same track I just have one more step left in the process as you might guess it is the one we call "Finishing". :D

Congrats for staying on focus!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

scgargoyle

Great house! And now you can take a break. Of course, if you're like most people who would tackle a project that size, you probably won't relax for long- you'll jump into something else!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

bman

Quote from: Thomas-in-Kentucky on April 10, 2007, 12:14:48 PM
Awesome bman! Those are some beefy beams and braces. I love "go-thick" architecture. :)

What did you use for insulation?

-Thomas
The roof is insulated with sheets of "RMAX" brand hard insulation sandwiched between the deck and the outer sheath. The walls are standard batts in 2X6 stud wall.

Qweaver

Nice Work Bman!  How about more pics of the interior.  It looks very cozy in there.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Riles

I'm thinking you should have leveled the site better. Doesn't everything roll to the back of the house?  ;D
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Greg Cook

Looks GREAT! Hope mine can look half as nice when I finish it (after I start it ! )

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

bman

Quote from: Qweaver on April 11, 2007, 07:33:42 AM
Nice Work Bman! How about more pics of the interior. It looks very cozy in there.

Will try and get some more uploaded this weekend.

Quote from: Riles
link=topic=25031.msg358449#msg358449 date=1176324511

I'm thinking you should have leveled the site better. Doesn't everything roll to the back of the house? ;D

Makes it easier to get out of bed in the morning!

Don P

That's a beautiful house Bman, you oughta be proud  8)
Our outhouse on the job is kinda like "mystery hill" near Tweetsie, one step inside and gravity takes a left turn. Several guys have stepped outta there like a cat onto ice  :D

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Great job, Bman!  :)

Your feat is truly an inspiration to all of us out there aspiring to someday raise our own frame.  And 20 months! :o :o  That's really fantastic!  Way to go!!!

I think I've got a new entry for my Heroes List.  ;)
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

Kelvin

Great!  Real nice to be done eh?  Funny, i just finished mine in Nov, 2 years to the day when i first started.  I liked the photos in your gallery.  Tell us though, did you mill that all with an alaskan mill?  Didnt see any other mills.  What are most of the beams cut from?  Those were real big logs you were cutting, did you buy the land recently and get all that timber with it too?  Wow!
I'm glad to be typing here in my house, instead of climbing all over it finishing it.  Phew! 
Kelvin

bman

Kelvin, every thing was milled with the Alaskan on site. 10,000 bd ft in the frame and about 5,000 in the roof deck, loft deck and main floor all cut from doug fir on site. Largest tree cut was 50" dia at the stump and felled right were I am sitting as I type this! But in western OR there's lots of big doug fir so that's not un-common. Our little slice of heaven is about 8 acres and we've been here about 4 1/2 years, built a pole building with a finished area and lived in that until we could build the house. I too am glad to be done, sometimes it would feel like I would never get to the end but looking back it went by rather quickly.

WDH

You reap what you sow, Bman.  What you have done will enrich your life as you go forward.  It is clear that you had a dream, it is exciting to see it come to pass ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWM II

Thats another fine example of inspiration, its amazing the things we can acomplish when we set our mind to finish. 8) I have never timber framed, but there is a gambrel barn in the future for my place, I dont think I could do it with out this site and its members.
Thanks for taking the time to share.
Stewardship Counts!

Thank You Sponsors!