iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

echo 590 muffler

Started by bluthum, April 30, 2024, 03:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluthum

The front ports of the muffler on my Echo 590 have a thin metal piece held on with 1 screw the parts list calls the muffler plate. What does is it's function and would I be better off with out it?

Thanks for answers in advance.

WLzM1A

I believe it only serves as a spark arrest......and to collect carbon.  If you aren't in a super dry area, I would remove it.  I have on all of mine without starting any fires.  If you leave it and use the saw often, just remove it every now and then and clean the carbon off :thumbsup:
Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330
Sears H58D
Whitehead 180 wall hanger

Lone Elm British Labrador Retrievers
AKC Fox Red and Black
Veteran Owned

bluthum

Thanks WLzM1A. I was taking the screen spark arrestor off the top of the muffler when the "muffler plate" came to my notice. Your explanation makes sense. The climate here usually makes a spark arrestor irrelevant, but I save  them in a drawer just in case. In the rare events it gets dry enough to matter here,  I avoid sawing, but it is conceivable that circumstances could arise where it would be wise to reinstall one. Meantime they gather no carbon while in the drawer. I have to say it seems the 590 runs better without it but could be my imagination.

WLzM1A

I agree that it does run better.  I had one and did the same thing b4 selling it to a friend in need.  Great saw.  Stay safe my friend :thumbsup:

Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330