iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal logs

Started by moodnacreek, April 06, 2024, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Perhaps this will help a beginner with a sawmill. First you need a metal detector unless you saw woods grown timber. Large old logs are trouble for many reasons especially having had things nailed to them. Back before computers when kids played outside they built tree forts. There where cloths lines and hooks to tie up the dog. So you get a load of logs from an old farm and the ring count says they are 50 years old, You know the place and no one has worked it for 75 years. If those logs came from inside the boundaries they should be clean but that one big old grandfather you want cut table tops from has a horse shoe in it. Any large butt log must be considered a metal log until proven clean. With the exception of power lines and tree stands upper logs are almost always clean. Young fast growing uppers I just saw. Knowing where the wood came from and it's age is a big help. The nails from posted signs are a problem and a metal detector will find them easy because you know just where to check,. Most of these trees have heavy branches on one side indicating they grew on the edge of the lot. If you post your land use plastic signs and aluminum siding nails in case you live to be old and forget.

Southside

Come on - you left out the most fun part - ceramic fence insulators!!!   ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I have a really accurate metal detector, the only drawback is that it uses single use metal indicators that cost around $30 each, but it will find any metal in a log.
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

barbender
Puzzled by what this detector is. Any more info? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Quote from: beenthere on April 07, 2024, 01:40:09 AMbarbender
Puzzled by what this detector is. Any more info?
A brand new saw band? 

Finds any metal in the log, 100% guaranteed.  ffcheesy
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SawyerTed

Upper sections have things like TV antennas and wires... and the fasteners.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

cutterboy

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 06, 2024, 08:31:53 PMin case you live to be old and forget.
The first time I hit a nail (new blade) it was a nail I nailed into the tree myself. :veryangry:  From a long ago and forgotten bird house I nailed to the tree. The bird house was gone but the nails remained.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

I only saw customer's logs so there is no log/tree history.  I have two wand style nail finders on my truck and the customer is welcome to use them, and some do.  The last time they were used the logs came from a trailer park.  They found many nails and then I found a few @ $45 each.  That's $25 for the blade and $20 for me to replace it.

I will not use the metal detectors because that may tend to transfer the nail ownership from the customer to me.  They ain't my nails nor my responsibility to find them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

Quote from: Magicman on April 07, 2024, 07:53:56 AMI only saw customer's logs so there is no log/tree history.  I have two wand style nail finders on my truck and the customer is welcome to use them, and some do.  They last time they were used the logs came from a trailer park.  They found many nails and then I found a few @ $45 each.  That's $25 for the blade and $20 for me to replace it.

I will not use the metal detectors because that may tend to transfer the nail ownership from the customer to me.  They ain't my nails nor my responsibility to find them.
You don't buy logs.

Magicman

Correct, I only saw customer's logs at their location.  I neither buy nor sell anything.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

Quote from: SawyerTed on April 07, 2024, 06:00:11 AMUpper sections have things like TV antennas and wires... and the fasteners. 

Age and location can almost tell you when to expect this.

B.C.C. Lapp

I don't buy or except yard trees except for firewood.   If its been in a growing in a yard, there is most likely metal and not worth my trouble.    The only metal I used to routinely saw through were the occasional bullet. smiley_thumbsdown    My biggest problem dulling blades was muddy logs.  Wear out lots of wire brushes.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Rhodemont

IMG_0772.jpg
Been watching this oak grow over the gate hook for 20 years.  Used my chainsaw and cut around to expose it about 5 years ago but it is still healing over.  Feel sorry for the sawyer who fells this tree and tries to saw it.  Hopefully not me.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Ron Wenrich

I used to tell people I had a metal detector with 50 teeth.  I could fill half a coffee can each year on woods grown timber.  Lots of sign nails.  I also had a tulip poplar that had a bunch of RR spikes used by an overzealous hunter.  They were in the 1st - 3rd log on a tree and were grown over. 

Metal detectors usually pick up the ceramic insulators.  They are usually hung with a 12d nail.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

doc henderson

We went to Disney when the kids were little.  We would be at Epcot, and the kids just wanted to go back to the room to play on the hammocks they had on the beach.  so, we got home and got hammocks, and of course the kids barely cared.  I had two elms and put in screw hooks and hung a hammock.  one of the trees have been taken down, and the other stands.  I keep looking at the metal and want to remove it but years ago it would not turn out.  I will have to remove good wood to get it out with a chain saw.  hate doing it to the tree.  I have no plans to cut and saw it, so on it goes.  prob. easier on the tree and elms tend to bleed from wounds for years.  I should leave a note for the guy in 50 years who hits it.  :snowball: maybe he will read this on the forum.  Sorry sir! ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

I have an old tree that grew around an eyelet that held a cable for a trash fence over a creek.  It fell not too long ago and I immediately went out and marked it with paint in case it got lost somewhere in my inventory of logs.   I also find barbed wire in trees that grew along the fence line.  

I've been pretty good at tracking the logs from the areas that metal may have been used. Now, if I can quit introducing blades to the backstops on my mill.  rayrock
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

Quote from: barbender on April 06, 2024, 11:49:50 PMI have a really accurate metal detector, the only drawback is that it uses single use metal indicators that cost around $30 each, but it will find any metal in a log.
Ahh yes the Turbo 7, think of it like a Saw Stop for Bandsaws.  ffcheesy
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

GAB

I have a maple tree with one of my broken tapping bits in it.
I do not plan on being the one sawing that butt log.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

Beenthere, my preferred metal detector I speak of is the Woodmizer 7/39° Turbo, 1½x.045. Preferably fresh out of the box☺️
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

I think the worst one I ever had was three nails 6" into the first cut on a brand new band....
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Well my uncle Jerry wanted to make a cedar chest for his granddaughter, so he brought a log.  We hit about 16 nails at about 6 feet all in a 3-inch diameter.  He worked for the county all his life.  I told him a blade was only 23 bucks, but to him he incited JC and thought that was a huge amount and kept apologizing.   ffsmiley   Uncle Jerry!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jpassardi

Customer's former clothesline in a Hickory...  :snowball:

LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Magicman

I once sawed into and through yellow poly rope deep within a Pine tree/log.  It had once been a temporary horse corral and there was no evidence of anything on the outside.  The customer bucked the remaining butt logs above horse height.   ffcheesy

Thank You Sponsors!