iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Healing

Started by Kirk_Allen, February 28, 2005, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Well I have had my first "logging" accident.  A very bruised forearm and a couple broken ribs.  Hurts to breath to deep and what ever I do, I don't want to laugh because that really hurts.

Thursday we were finishing up cutting the spruce trees when it happen.  The process was simple and we had done it all day the day before with no problem. 

The Track Hoe would dig up the roots around the tree (50-70 feet tall) and then push the tree over.  Once down he would grab it about 10 feet up from the root ball and swing the WHOLE tree around to the clearing and set it down.  Once in the clearing we would start limbing it and bucking to size.

Well, as we watched him bring down the largest tree of the bunch we prepared to start limbing once it was in place.  During that swing to get it into place the operator over swung the clearing considerably.  Imagine the top of the tree coming at you like a high speed BALL BAT. 

It happen so fast there was nothing I could do but say to myself, this is going to hurt.  I tucked my arm to my side and prepared for the hit.  I was hit by the top of the tree, maybe 5 feet down from the top.  It hit me broadside and directly on my forearm.  Any further down the tree and I may not be typing anymore.

When It was over, I was laying on my side under the tree top about 20 feet from where I was standing.  My hardhat, goggles and chainsaw were laying right where I was standing.  Cant say that I have ever been swept off my feet so fast.  The other Limber that was with me got hit as well.  Except I was the one that hit him.  The tree through me into him and we both went flying. 

I didn't think I was hurt to bad other than a bruised arm. In fact, the rest of the day and the next day I was limbing the rest of the trees.  My ribs hurt but I just thought it was bruised from the impact.  Did have about a 6 inch cut on my ribs from one of the branches but nothing to bad. 

Well by the end of the day I could hardly move without severe pain.  If I twisted or moved just right it would bring tears to my eyes.  I could only take half breaths which made things worse because less oxygen led to wanting to breath deeper and when I did I would scream in pain. 

Turns out two broken ribs. 

Lesson learned?  DON'T TRUST ANY OPERATOR FOR YOU SAFETY!   I have worked around large equipment all my life and simply got complaisant. Had he dropped the tree next to the one before I wouldn't be typing this. Had I been standing 15 feet further away I would not be typing this as well.  I can only blame myself, but do think the operator played a small role in this.   ;D

Buzz-sawyer

Sorry to hear ya got  dinged Kirk :-\
I always tell myself thats why they call em accidents...because they didnt plan it.....
This is a analogy not ment to give you advice, just my experience.....

It reminds me of some of the early lessons I learned working with "Crazy Bill" the tree guy.He taught me that anyone operating equipement was  (in my mind) trying to KILL me,  :o :o :o

so I had better keep that in the front of my mind.( now older and wiser I avoid crazy Bill),  :D :D

however,
It is easy for anyone to get comfortable while equipement is running, and we often assume that the operator can see, and hear, and understand, where we are or what is happenening...........but that is seldom the reality.
Now after the expert teachings of a careless operator, I simply assume they cant see me, hear me or ....that perhaps they are TRYING to kill me!! :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

PS Sorry if the preceding post made ta chuckle :'(
........ouch :o :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sandmar

Kirk that was too close buddy  :o Hope it helps remind us all that being complacent and/or working tired can end badly. You be sure and give those ribs time to heal properly...the trees will wait on you.

Sandmar

tnlogger

yup kirk close is the right word. you take care of them ribs and watch out for yourself.
gene

Kirk_Allen

I have had my share of broken bones, cuts and bruises in my life but I have to say that I dont think any of them hurt like this does. 

It hurts most sleeping.  I cant roll over to get comfortable without massive pain.  Cant sit in my recliner because it hurts to bad when I try to get out of it.  Cant breath deep ............etc.etc.

I hope this pain doesnt last long.  If I push on the front my ribs I can feel the sharp pain in my back. That was stupid I know!  I dont push on it anymore!

I was showing my wife the bruise on my knee from the accident and bent over just right and I let out a crying scream.  She thought is was funny and started laughing.  I knew I looked pretty stupid crying in pain with one pant leg half rolled up and she laughed so hard it made me laugh, which made me cry louder, which made her laugh more, which.........OK you get where Im going. 

I had to leave the room it hurt so bad.  I knew if I didnt I may not recover.

Did I tell you, IT HURTS!  I feel like a 5 year old kid with his first cut knee. 

Paul_H

Had a similar experience Kirk. I came down through the fell&bucked to see the excavator operator who was swinging logs with a grapple attachment to roadside.I watched him for awhile and thought he saw me.He grabbed a full length Balsam Fir and because I figured he was going to swing it the other way,headed in towards the machine.When it was plain to see that it was swinging towards me,I ran towards a stump.

I was running kind of funny because my butt was trying to get out in front and pass of the rest of my body.

In my case,the blame was 100% on me because it is up to the man on the ground to confirm eye contact with the machine operator before walking into his area.

I'm glad you weren't hurt too badly.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

jflytle

Kirk,

Been there, done that. Except my incident involved a young horse, a cold day, a cell phone in my jacket pocket, and most of all, he really didn't want to be rode. 3 broken ribs and a banged up hip (I still feel on cold damp days) later, yep, it hurts ALOT.

I wish I could tell you it will heal quick, but I'd be lieing. You'll be moving slow for a couple weeks. Next week you might be able to sleep decent. I found rolling out of bed to my knee's helped.

John
Don't ask me too many questions. I'm just soaking up the brilliance.

etat

Hey Kirk, I sure am glad you didn't get hurt worse. Be sure and take care of yourself for a spell.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Kirk_Allen

Thats going to be the Tuff part Charles.  I cant sit still for very long.  I have WAY to much work to get done on both sides of the house, our full time business and our milling.   

I have a trip in two weeks to NC, GA, FL, AL, TN and I hope that I can take a deep breath by then.  I had no idea breathing could hurt so bad.

I checked the map and looks like you are about 200 miles from where I am going to be.  Dont think I will make it your way this trip but I will keep you posted on my upcoming trips. 

devo

Sorry to hear  about your accident Kirk. I'm glad your not hurt any worse than you are, not that that makes it any better for you.

Working around heavy equipment (and sometimes other people), seems to multiply the chances of something like this happening. Somewhere on the internet I have seen somebodys statistical analysis of logging accidents (in BC I think). I can't remember the numbers, and in truth most of the document was to technical for me to understand, but the conclusion was that 2 people working together logging were more than twice as likely to have an accident compared to those same 2 people working seperatly. The numbers were way higher when heavy equipment was involved.

I hope you heal up and start feeling better soon. If your anything like I was last week with my neck, the first day or so wasn't to bad puttering around letting things get better, but after that, the lack of work being done gets to be worse than the pain. Try to take er easy.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

Minnesota_boy

Devo,
I'm glad you posted the statistics on being more likely to be hurt if you have another around.  When I'm alone, I tend to business very well, knowing that I have only myself to depend on to keep me alive.  When I have a helper, I'm constantly watching them, trying to keep them safe as well as me and not focusing on my own safety as well as I should.  The times I've come closest to being hurt or hurting someone else is when I've been with a helper.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!