iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

marketing

Started by Tony, March 26, 2007, 09:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Yes, I know we've been over this before.
I've got about 500 bdft of 1", random width\length oak (mixed species). Been
air drying for 3 years.Thinking about planing some of it, hitting the road and trying to sell it.Maybe a local hardware store owned by a friend or a cabinet shop or 2. I know this not a big quantity, but I need the room.

My biggest question is what to charge  ??? ??? ::) ???  The local box store
charges around 6$\bdft and some of mine looks as good as theirs.

Advice and experiences on this will be appreciated  8) 8)

Thanks, Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Ga_Boy

Hi Tony,

In my area, MD, DC and VA. air dried goes for $2.50/bf.

The large box stores are selling kiln dried S4S material.  You have rough sawn air dried.  Try running an ad in your local news paper and see how it goes.  I did that when I first started and it worked well.  I was approached by a local hardware store but they were going to store the material outside.  For me that would not work as I sell kiln dried material.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

low_48

I think your biggest hurdle will be the air-dried feature of the lumber. I build furniture from air-dried, sure ain't afraid of it, but am sure afraid of BUGS. Powder post beetles are the danger and will probably keep any furniture or cabinet shop from buying. When you are selling your product the idea of a little frass showing up in the house would not be a pretty picture. Around here, you're lucky to get half the price of the big box store or hardwood suppliers. Good Luck!

Tony

Quote from: low_48 on March 27, 2007, 10:02:32 PM
I think your biggest hurdle will be the air-dried feature of the lumber. I build furniture from air-dried, sure ain't afraid of it, but am sure afraid of BUGS. Powder post beetles are the danger and will probably keep any furniture or cabinet shop from buying. When you are selling your product the idea of a little frass showing up in the house would not be a pretty picture. Around here, you're lucky to get half the price of the big box store or hardwood suppliers. Good Luck!

ouch, didn't think of this, thanks

Tony
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Thank You Sponsors!