iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Take the scenic route!

Started by Octoman, June 22, 2005, 01:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octoman

Thought i would recomend a route i took to Switzerland last wednesday!  I was driving down through France heading for Geneva and was making good time so i decided to take the scenic route for the last part of the journey.  If you check out a map of France you will see that the motorway passes around the French Alpes but if you take the N5 route ove the mountains it is truely breath taking!!  There was loads of serious forestry to take in, loads of heavily overloaded timber trucks and an abundance of vast sawmills!  Once you get to the top of the mountain pass you get a fantastic view down into Geneva of the city and the lake - Brilliant!  Definitely recomend this route and beats the hell out of the motorway!  Thats if any of you guys happen to be driving through France of course!  This route was also used in the Tour de France cycle race last year!  Lance Armstrong and the rest of the pros have got some respect from me now-its steep!!! ;)
WM LT 15 - Fortune favours the Brave!

Tom

I am almost envious of your ability to take off on a whim and "drive" through England, France, Switzerland and other countries that we have to plan for years to see.

My consolation, I guess, is that I drive south of Jacksonville about 40 miles from the house and go through Switzerland.  We have a little community named that on Fla-13.   When I go to Rome, I have to drive North ...........to Georgia.  Georgia, next to Russia,  doesn't have access to a Rome, I don't think.  Not far from Moultrie where the AG show is in Oct., I can get to Vienna and not too far from Rome is Athens. Going to Naples takes all day, but if I'm thinking of New Zealand, I can be in Dunedin in a couple of hours. ;D

All within about 300 miles of the house. :D

sprucebunny

I would love to go to Europe and see the sights...particulrly the Alps. But it's unlikely.
About four days a week I drive by this view, though ;D in Pinkham Notch NH on state route 16. You can still see the snow in Tuckerman Ravine and in the clefts of the stream to the right of it.

Huntington Ravine is on the right and the Observatory is over the rise in the center. The Observatory recorded the highest wind on the planet: 231mph  :o
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tom

I remember reading about that observatory.  National Geograpic had an article about it awhile back.  They called it the most inhospitable place on the planet.  :D

Astronomers have to use sky hooks for safety belts to keep from getting blown off of the mountain top. :D   .....I just made that up. :D :D

crtreedude

SpruceBunny,

I once hiked from Crawford's Path across the top and down Tuckerman Ravine in a day - a long day.

My wife Amy was to pick me up at Pinkham Notch and when she arrived after 8 hours, I wasn't there yet. When she walked into the visitor center, the first thing she saw was all the people who have died up on the mountain. Given I wasn't there, it didn't fill her with good feelings. I hadn't told her that the hike was a little dangerous...  ;D

She asked the ranger if she should be worried - after she told him my route he told her that I was a bit optimistic on my time that there was nothing to worry about.

I staggered in to the parking lot about 2 hours later.  :o

Absolutely great hike.

I think I am going to get to do it a few times more - our daughter is going to marry a man up that way in about a year.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

GareyD

Sounds like I need to get my wifes Expedition serviced and fly that way and check it out....

Is any of the Florida boys up for a road trip ??? ???
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

DanG

Ohio seemed to weather "The Grits Express" ok, but I ain't sure New England is up to it yet. ::) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

Now that would be interesting to see :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Not a problem, I think Newenglanders will just use those grits for mortar.  ;D

sprucebunny

That's a heck of a hike up over the top of Mt Washington   :o
I've been to Tuckermans a few times long ago to ski and a couple years ago a friend and I were driven up the Auto Road and dropped off to hike the 14 miles north to Route 2. I survived but just barely ;D

This is a tourist area and we can deal with anything you southern boys can dish out :D
Everyone will just think you got cream of wheat or some kind of dry-wall mud  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crtreedude

The hike was 10 hours - and I was in good shape. I do very well go up hills, but coming down became torture after a while - the last 2 were very painful - and continued that way for the next 3 days.

I used to take my daughter to WPI once a year, so I would drive up from NJ, drop her off and then go up to the White mountains to get in a quick 3 hour hike. I loved doing it.

Usually I would get out before or at dark (always had a flashlight) and then I would crash in the Jeep until about 4:00 am in the morning and drive back.

Oh the crazy hedonism of the weekends!

Thank You Sponsors!