iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building on a budget (zero) Rafter size

Started by Jeff, October 17, 2022, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tomorrow I'll start triming ends. Have to saw perlins for the walls yet.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Make the upper one on the back wall a 2x12  ;)

Jeff

Im actually thinking about cutting full 2" thick stock and plating the whole back wall. I can see a quad coming in hot, plus a solid wall will make a heck of a header.

Jeff

Hey, how about this. I put in a 2x6 treated bottom plate as a sill, then make a log wall on top of that? 3 side some more spruce and lag em in. I have a few hundred of those log screws.

Jeff

Back wall is 3" tamarack. I sawed the 6x6s in 2018  on my old property. Hauled the cedar home and built a fence leaving the tamarack for Gary. He never used it and it had been dead stacked 4 years. He said try it. Believe it or not, it was still plenty solid for this .

Jeff

Old Greenhorn

8) 8) 8) 8)
You've needed that for a while. That HAS to feel pretty good!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

Jeff, on the back wall, if you run angle braces from the center of the overhead beam out each way to either post then nail each siding board to those as you install them it'll help rack brace and support the roof.

thecfarm

Is that the end you will be driving into?
Nice picture. Did you paint them clouds?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawmilllawyer

Jeff, Looks like a pretty clean build site, or a cleaned up build site!!!Looks beefy enough for me but we don't get snow like that down here just high winds and ice storms, mainly.Keep up the good work.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Jeff

I have plans for diagonal bracing as I put the walls in. Found a $5 door at habitat that is going to be repurposed as part of a wall. 
There will be a slider that opens past that wall. Ill try to build the door to look like the door panel. The rest of the wall will be sided with the old 6/4 tamarack.

Mock-up.

Jeff

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

Coming along.  :)
This was end of day today. Cleaning ends up, trim, I still plan on some substantial diagonal bracing, then tarps for doors for this winter. Picked some up at harbor freight in the soo. I'm  ready for this to be done. Thought I broke my hand earlier, but it seems to be better after working all day with it.

Old Greenhorn

That looks SUPER! I love the way the door/window/wall came out. You have such a good eye for stuff like that!
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Southside

Quote from: Jeff on November 07, 2022, 05:42:23 PM
Picked some up at harbor freight in the soo. 

Umm, we have a policy about a certain place that shall not be named here on the FF. Using lower case to avoid the automatic administration tool is unsportsmanlike conduct.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Harbor Freight is ok, it's the Northern place that is the lowlife scum of the earth.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Southside, I think you just got put on 'Administrator's probation' for making a hasty call without careful reading.
 Don't feel bad, when I read I sometimes get the two confused also. But I was in town today and saw the banner on a building announcing a new Harbor Freight would be opening here in January. 8) This will save me an hour drive up the thruway every 6 weeks for the routine supplies. Plus the incidentals that come up.

Jeff

I love Harbor Freight!  I only need tools that last as long as I can still find em!

Also, they put a tractor supply in at home, right by the grocery store, on my way to everywhere.

Southside

Who was it that carried the Logrite knock offs?  Even used their pictures and all. I thought it was HF 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chet

Da place dat is da opposite direction of Southern Tool.   Starts with N  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Old Greenhorn

SS, I thought this was covered in the Administrator's handbook? :D :D Yes, it's NT, not HF. HF is our friend, NT, well, not so much.

thecfarm

There that should do it, but don't know how much snow you get.
Could always put a couple posts under some of them 2 by trees  :D to give you a piece of mind come February.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

Quote from: Southside on November 07, 2022, 08:11:36 PM
Who was it that carried the Logrite knock offs?  Even used their pictures and all. I thought it was HF
I don't think it was either. Someone did that though. 
NT logging tools are junk, a waste of money, and dangerous. I don't think HF has anything like cant hooks or logging tongs.  
Actually NT has a lot of name brand stuff and is a good resource for me.  They also have those horrible logging tools. Caveat emptor.  I have no desire or reason to defend NT, but  I do get a lot of things there.  HF too.
HM126

thecfarm

It was that Northern place.
They even used Logrite picture to sell it. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!