iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for Information building Timber Frames to Passive House Standards

Started by future_vision, January 16, 2023, 01:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

future_vision

Lots of information out there regarding the 'perfect wall' with stick frame building and the numerous variations. Haven't really found anything on timber frames other than using SIPs which I prefer not to use. Does anyone have and good info on how to enclose and insulate a timber frame without using SIPs?

timberwrestler

You can certainly make a TF meet PH standards, primarily because the shell is 'isolated' from the frame.  We've done a few now, all with different enclosure methods (and mostly not SIPs).  Timber frames that are insulated tend to be structurally redundant, and that is with or without PH standards.  Basically just pick your favorite building assembly(ies) that don't use foam and wrap your frame.  Or do a hybrid.  For walls it could be wood fiberboard, double stud walls, various wall 'trusses' with cellulose or mineral wool.  For cathedral ceilings, stick scissor trusses might work, again wood fiberboard, or we sometimes do deep I-joists (over the TF), vented and dense-packed.  
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

timberframe

I've done two frames so far that the clients wrapped to passivehaus standards.  Both with Larsen trusses on the walls, they built and installed themselves to save money and had contractors do the roof.  One roof was parallel chord trusses 17" deep with rockwool, one was a rigid/rafter filled with rockwool/rigid sandwich.  

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: timberwrestler on January 16, 2023, 05:16:54 PM
You can certainly make a TF meet PH standards, primarily because the shell is 'isolated' from the frame.  We've done a few now, all with different enclosure methods (and mostly not SIPs).  Timber frames that are insulated tend to be structurally redundant, and that is with or without PH standards.  Basically just pick your favorite building assembly(ies) that don't use foam and wrap your frame.  Or do a hybrid.  For walls it could be wood fiberboard, double stud walls, various wall 'trusses' with cellulose or mineral wool.  For cathedral ceilings, stick scissor trusses might work, again wood fiberboard, or we sometimes do deep I-joists (over the TF), vented and dense-packed.  
Why no foam? Is not using foam part of the passive house standards?

timberwrestler

Joe, I think that's just the OP's preference.  That is usually rooted in the desire to use less carbon-intensive building products.  As far as I know that choice has nothing to do with either of the Passive House organizations.  
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

Thank You Sponsors!