The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Floor Deflection  (Read 404 times)

Offline bannerd

• Full Member x2
  • Madman
    • Share Post
Floor Deflection
« on: January 30, 2023, 02:27:18 PM »
Working on a hay barn that is old timber frame, but have a weird weird issue going on.

The first level of the barn is solid and I see no issue there.  All the beams were ended up in a X style brace and have a lot of plates and lag bolts.  This one room upstairs is the issue that is rather odd.  If I have a buddy run towards the room you can feel the barn moving.. sort of feels like it's bouncing and then causes a side by side motion.  The room literally next to it.. no deflection.. a light feeling but literally nothing this extreme.  The room in question will make your coffee dance inside your cup.  Had a few PE's look at it and everything is over kill.. nothing that is spanning.. everything is just to short of a distance.

at the end of the structure I threw all I had (not a big guy) and tried to shake that side of the building and nothing.. but in that room.. moving like to where you feel un-easy.  The building has had no snow on it.. and it was pretty bad.  Now it has 5 ft of snow and the movement is minor so perhaps a compression issue.  when it gets filled with hay, it's very hard to get it to move but I also think there is just massive downward pressure on the subfloor so there is no bounce.  Would deflection in a floor bring the walls down in a minimal way?  All buildings move and have deflection but this is a bit much.

Anyways, if anyone has some mechanical ways to start testing things I'm all ears.

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Floor Deflection
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 04:19:47 PM »
I'm a bit slow understanding what you are experiencing. A few pics of the parts of the barn that you think are "moving" with a live load (buddy running) and pointing out where in the barn it seems to be moving.

Sounds like loose joints from wood shrinkage and those joints tighten up when under a hay load.

There are ways to stretch some tight strings to learn more about what is moving.

Likely is not a structural problem, but good to find out more. Flexing (deflection) is usually low modulus of elasticity in some members. Uncomfortable, but not unsafe.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter