iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to keep the bark on the edges

Started by shawn55, November 19, 2019, 10:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn55

Looking to mill some plaques for Deer/Fish mounts and want the bark to stay.  I've heard cut and mill only in the winter. Just need some help to clarify this.  Also would I have to do anything different after they are cut before I stack them to dry. 

Larry

Late winter is the very best time to cut the trees.

Another way is to soak the bark with CA glue.  Many woodturners use this method when turning natural edge bowls.  CA will stain the wood so proceed with caution.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

time of year is helpful.  cambium grows slow in winter and is more dense.  I just glue it back if it is loose or falls off.  titebond 1 inside, or 3 if it is used outside.

I had to glue the live edge bark on this 6 pack carrier.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

D6c

I have an old nut cracking bowl that's essentially a turned cookie with bark on...not a crack in it.  Don't know how they preserved it but could it have been something like this stuff?
The way I read it you soak it in the solution and it replaces the water in the wood so it doesn't shrink and crack.  Not sure if it'll keep the bark tight too.

Pentacryl Green Wood Stabilizer - Preservation Solutions

moodnacreek

Winter cut live from the stump and winter cut on the mill [same winter]. This is the always the best way to make lumber. There will be less shrinkage so less checking and very little stain. The bark might even stay on.

ncsawyer

Quote from: moodnacreek on November 20, 2019, 07:57:35 AM
Winter cut live from the stump and winter cut on the mill [same winter]. This is the always the best way to make lumber. There will be less shrinkage so less checking and very little stain. The bark might even stay on.
That's a lot easier for all you guys that actually have a "winter".  I agree totally.  If I am building something for myself, especially out of pine.  I cut the logs in the winter and saw the logs in the winter. This really helps on blue stain and mold. But here in NC, sometimes we don't have much of a winter, so my window can be somewhat short some years. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

moodnacreek

Always wondered how it works down south. My comments are from my experience in N.Y state only. I would suppose cutting in the dormant season anywhere would be best.

K-Guy

Quote from: doc henderson on November 20, 2019, 04:56:24 AMI had to glue the live edge bark on this 6 pack carrier.

It's empty now, somebody drank all the beer and didn't share, might as well throw it away. I hope you don't have surgery today!!  :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

moodnacreek

Some camps up north put up cedar slab siding, bark on, and put little nails in to keep it on.

doc henderson

if I am making rustic, I do not like to wait for glue to dry, I use my 23 g pinner to hold it in place so I can move on to the next step while the glue dries.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brad_bb

Instead of CA glue, I use a water thin penetrating epoxy. Smith's.  Smith's on Amazon

Useful to reinforce rotted wood, empregnate wood to make it stronger(like doing it in a vacuum pot).  I've painted it on bark from some barn boards that still had their 100+ year old bark on them, and it worked to keep the bark adhered.  I tried it after seeing Matt Cremona use it.  Matt Cremona video using Smith's
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Brad_bb on November 20, 2019, 11:36:41 PM
Instead of CA glue, I use a water thin penetrating epoxy. Smith's.  Smith's on Amazon

Useful to reinforce rotted wood, empregnate wood to make it stronger(like doing it in a vacuum pot).  I've painted it on bark from some barn boards that still had their 100+ year old bark on them, and it worked to keep the bark adhered.  I tried it after seeing Matt Cremona use it.  Matt Cremona video using Smith's
Thanks for both those links Brad. Opened my eyes to something new. I plan on looking into the penetrating epoxy more, but using a vacuum system is problematic due to size (for now). Baby steps.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!