iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How cold is too cold?

Started by Nvfd3052, January 21, 2013, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tronvik

We don't get too cold in Charleston, rain can be a deal breaker though.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

Peter Drouin

Well it was 0 this moring and I had to get the wood cut so the guy can come get it friday. thats when he wants it, all frozer red oak, not fun but im trying to make a liven, but the woodmizer ran good , so not to bad friday I have to cut some 6x6x8' out of w oak

when you work for your self you can;t tell the customer I don;t have your wood because ti's to cold, besides I told the customers when the wood will be ready. and I allways do what I say im going to do and when,
I can use all the customers I can get ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

francismilker

I'm a southern bred eskimo!  I like it when gets cold. (+20 and below) The zero mark is what I consider "cold".  My equipment doesn't like it to get below about +25 and things get complicated when I need to put roundbales out to the cows and I forgot to plug the tractor in the night before.

I DON'T start cold equipment if I can help it.  It's just too hard on cold steel to be under force imho.  Even my cars, atvs, and portable welder are preheated before starting in the cold weather.  Dipstick oil heaters are lots cheaper than rod and main bearings.

I have a limit on the amount of clothing I can wear and be comfortable while I work.  I don't mind wearing long underwear or insulated coveralls, but when I get enough layers to feel like the staypuff marshmellow man I stay inside for the day and catch up on Bible study or paperwork for my Boy Scout troop.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

scully

It has ben 0 to 15 here all week wind snow just misserable ! I had to mill a beam for a job I am doing ,I got it done but the ol mill sure didn't like it ! Debarker froze ,hydrolics were moody ,dulled a new band etc. But worth the small victory !
I bleed orange  .

mmartone

I really dont like it if its below 70, I can stand it colder if the suns out...
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Chuck White

Ideal temp for me is between 40 & 85°

Much colder than 40, just depends on how much wind and hotter than 85 depends on the sun.

Either one gets to far out of hand and I'm done for the day.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Slab Slicer

Did some milling today for a fella down the road. Some good sized beams. Temps were in the 20's, so not too bad. When you're running a manual mill, you keep a bit warmer.  :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Goodndusty

I am living in the wrong area because I don't like the cold.  I tend not to work, unless I have to, when the temp is below O.  Like the guys are saying, "The wind is the big thing!".  I have the band mill and planer inside an unheated shed so the wind is less of a factor.  I find that it is no use fighting the elements.  It is hard on everything including the body.  Of course it is a different matter if I have made a promise to a customer.  I try not to make too many promises and in winter I make sure I add, "If the weather co-operates!".   ;D
Goodndusty

Timberwolf 24' 2" band mill, logosol planer/molder, 3 sided planer/sizer, Oliver 1850 front end loader, Barko 60, H3 crawler w/1066 loader with wood clam, home built dryer, Dino semi auto setter, cat claw sharpener, Timberjack 230D.

SwampDonkey

As to the question in the thread, I wouldn't know. Never experienced it yet. :D ;D Might be a different answer in the south. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rooster 58

It can be nice out if it's sunny and the wind is down, even at 15-20 degrees. But if it gets over 75, that,s another matter. I don't care for humidity, probably why I havn't gone to Va. to live ;D

Thank You Sponsors!