iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 120B

Started by Corley5, December 25, 2009, 07:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

A week ago tonight I came across an ad on our local Craig's List for a Franklin 120B that was working 6 days a week for $3,250.00  ??? :)  I called the owners up and arranged to see it working on their job the next morning near Levering.  It works good, the tires are black and round and it's got a 350 Chevy in place of the original Perkins engine.  I'd rather have the diesel but for the price I couldn't pass it up.  I've been sorta looking for a cable machine for a couple years and this one was half the cost of a comparable machine with a diesel.  It's sitting in my barn now  8)  The guys even delivered it for another 40 bucks.  They were in a hurry to part with it to get a down payment on an early 80s Treefarmer C5 with a grapple.  It's had the center pins redone including the bushings for the oscillation, the steering motor was recently rebuilt and its got new control cables for the winch.  The machine sat for 12 years before they got it in April and they went thru the carb and put a new fuel pump on the engine in addition to a complete tune up.  They also changed all the fluids in it.  They've been running it ever since.  It runs good but sounds rough as the one exhaust pipe is loose at the manifold and at least needs a new doughnut and probably a new exhaust elbow too.  I also got the original operator's manual; a spare tire, tranny, alternator and starter.  The blade needs some welding on it.  They pushed out a log truck a few days before I went to look at it and broke it where the arm connects to the blade.  They offered to take it home and weld it for me but I declined the offer in favor of my own work or taking it to Moran Iron Works in Onaway and having it done right.  It and the other side have been busted several times and have several layers of beads of weld.  Another issue is releasing the winch.  There's a tire iron on the side to pop the catch on the winch so it will free wheel and that's why the cover on that side is missing.  The winch still works fine other than that issue and it's not a big deal.  It appears to me that what it really needs is a good cleaning, some light oil and the cover put back on.  Anybody   know the make of the winch or where I might find a cover for it  ???  I don't plan on using it much right away.  I've got a bunch of big beech that are too big for me to lift with the Mule and for what it would cost to get somebody with a cable machine or bigger forwarder to do it for me I got my own machine. That task is for spring when the snow's gone.  The next job I've got lined up also has a valley with fairly steep sides and this'll work great to stage the logs and tops where I can get to them with the Mule.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Coon

That unit should serve you well for the work you will be doing and at a bargain as well. ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

donny hochstetler

My dad used to own a 132xl franklin with a 353 detroit tough old machine , it looks very similar in styl the winch looks similar as well,I cant ever remember having winch problems we pulled a lot of wood with that old girl I remember he paid ten grand for it back in 1988.If your looking for a cover for the winch try Baker sons equipment. Happy new year :)

Rob-IL

If I remember right, there's suppose to be a small hydraulic cylinder located where you now have an operating cable attached to the winch and another cylinder for releasing. I operated a 132 several years ago (25++) that was setup with the small cylinders instead of a cable so I would say that the winch controls have been altered. Still looks like you bought the machine right!!!!
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

Frank H.

I think you got a pretty good bargain on that machine.  For what you paid, it don't look too beat up.  Plus, the center pins are redone.  That seals the deal.  Nice! 8)

Ed_K

Nice find, want to part with your iron mule? I'm trying to find a small forwarder.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!