iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Figuring the cost per cord. Or trying to any way.

Started by B.C.C. Lapp, July 25, 2022, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

I am breaking down some of OddInTheForrest's numbers.

35 cu m = 9.6 cord of logs delivered

35 cu m logs produces 52,500 L (1,236 cu ft) of split firewood tossed in a pile.

1,236 cu ft divided by 180 cu ft (avg volume of a tossed cord) = 6.86 tossed cords. Round it to 7 cords.

Gross sales of USD$7,500 / 7 cords = USD$1,071.43 per tossed cord of split firewood.

Net profit of USD$4,875 / 7 cords - USD$696.43 per tossed cord of split firewood.

Factor in as many if's as you want, that seems like a very healthy profit... unless I misplaced a decimal somewhere :)

beenthere

Very interesting. 
Speaking of firewood, I've watched some video of the live view from engine pulling passenger train in the winter snow up the coast of Norway. One thing very noticeable was no smoke coming from houses along the trip. 
Cab Ride Norway : Trondheim - Bodø (Winter) Nordland Line - YouTube

There are several videos on such trains in Norway, and a real enjoyable way to see the beautiful countryside and villages along the way. 

Figured there was a ban on burning wood. But someone must be burning firewood, given OddinTheForrest's post. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

twar

Quote from: beenthere on August 10, 2022, 09:45:13 AMI've watched some video of the live view from engine pulling passenger train in the winter snow up the coast of Norway. One thing very noticeable was no smoke coming from houses along the trip.

Most wood burning in Norway is in a oven/stove, not in a fireplace, and a chimney/stovepipe is still required in most types of new houses to accommodate an alternative to the standard electric heating. So there is definitely not a ban on woodburning (though there can be at times locally in cities when the air quality is bad). There has been a push (with $ incentives) to replace old ovens (old=pre-1998 ) with new cleaner ones. Now, a majority of ovens in Norway are "new". There is not nearly as much visible smoke from the chimneys as there was 20 years ago.

Banning woodburning in Scandinavia would be like banning BBQ in North Carolina :D.

OddInTheForrest

Without doubt, the way things are looking now, Its a great time to be a firewood guy in my neck of the woods.
Sent an email yesterday, about getting a truckload of logs, but this seems to be rather hard to come by this season. So I guess its plan b - felling of Sitka Spruce. They tend to be loaded with branches, so it takes a fair time. But they give quite a lot of split wood. Big trees.

Ianab

Quote from: twar on August 11, 2022, 03:14:52 AMThere has been a push (with $ incentives) to replace old ovens (old=pre-1998 ) with new cleaner ones. Now, a majority of ovens in Norway are "new". There is not nearly as much visible smoke from the chimneys as there was 20 years ago.

Same here. 

All new wood fires need to be the cleaner "double burning" style, and a couple of cities have banned old open fires.   Christchurch used to be one of the worst air quality cities in the world as it was a flat spot between hills and an inversion layer would trap the smog in Winter. Dry wood in a modern fireplace makes minimal smoke. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!