dancan

A sign of things to come to forestry
Even horses may be replaced
http://www.youtube.com/v/W1czBcnX1Ww&hl=en

Mooseherder

We need to run that thing into a crowd of fundamentalists. ;D

logwalker

That got to be one of the weirdest things I have ever seen. Wow
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

thedeeredude

That is really really creepy.  I think if I saw it in the wild it would be six feet under in no time. Hopefully it doesn't have an electronic self regeneration and dig itself out and hunt me down.  I hate robots.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

It sure is sure footed.  Whoever designed the articulation is a genius.

submarinesailor

Tom,

You hit the nail dead square on.  This is something people have been trying to get right for many, many years.  This is the closes thing I have seen to emulating the way humans and animals walk.  I'll bet you that it does have your home computer running it.  Dang what speed it must have.  Did you guys watch the feet when the researcher pushed it sideways or when it slipped on the ice?  It reacted just the way we do when we try to keep from failing – play it again and watch the leg movement..  After working on some of the many different systems that I have, in my short time here on earth, I didn't think I could be this impressed this easily, BUT I'm very impressed with this toy.  CAN I HAVE ONE???????  I promise that I will give it one hard test/work out – if anyone can break it, I can.  Wonder if it can de-bark logs for my LT15.  I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Ironwood

I wonder if it is a "doctored " video? It could be a farse. Sure looks odd. You would have thought this thing would have appeared on the news somewhere.

IRonwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

zopi

DARPA project..they don't advertise alot...

I had a dog that ran like that once...then I wormed her...<G>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

i think it's neat, i wonder what that sound is, and how it actuates the legs.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

You guy's that called that "creepy" took the words right out of my mouth.  Very scary.  I pictured a deer during the ice parts. It's reactions were so fast it was as if it were thinking ahead.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

zopi

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 21, 2008, 09:18:07 PM
i think it's neat, i wonder what that sound is, and how it actuates the legs.

two stroke engine?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

the pulsing is what confuses me, I thought 2 stroke at first too.  regardless, I'd like to play with one.

It looks like something from starwars!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pineywoods

Sounds like a 2 stroke to me, probably running a hydraulic pump. For sure there's some potent hydraulics involved and a whole bunch of computing power. Saw something similar but not nearly that advanced that had a separate computer system for each leg, plus a big master computer. Sensors wouldn't be much of a problem, but the computer programming would be a real challenge.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

open loop feedback with anticipatory fuzzy logic...probably fiber optic...that sucker is fast...

I want to see the steam powered version...steam punk rocks.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ianab

QuoteSounds like a 2 stroke to me, probably running a hydraulic pump

Yes thats my thoughts too, you can hear the engine pulsing against the varying hydralic load as the thing walks, like an excavator working. It probably runs a generator to power the computers too. In the middle part it seems to be running on an overhead umbilical with a hydralic hose and power cables? In the outside shots it's running off an onboad engine thats slung underneath?

Of course if you want to fetch your logs a little bit faster.. then there is this.
0-50mph in 3.5secs - on tracks  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsixJuErVWc

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dancan

Jeff , I like the idea of a saddle and I think the addition of a winch and a place for my saw and lunch would make it complete  :D

Skip

zopi

Me likey....i almost bought a Ripsaw...then wifey told me to get bent and buy a full sized bandsaw...smart woman.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tree-farmer

reminds me of a pack lama... just a bionic version, exciting idea but scary at the same time. :o
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

blaze83

maybe we aren't as far away from the reality of the movie I, Robot as we think. pretty amazing engineering

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Thank You Sponsors!