iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I dropped my Laptop...

Started by WDH, December 03, 2011, 09:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

and I fear the worst.  When I turn it on, the screen is gray and has black lines running through it that looks like glass that has been shattered.

Is it toast?  Can I get my files off?  It is only 8 months old  :).  I am such a klutz.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Mine has an outlet where you can plug in an external screen.  That is just in case it is a screen problem.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Well apart from the danger of a Zombie invasion.....

There is a good chance you can at least recover the files.

First thing to try is plugging the laptop into a normal monitor and see if it still works that way. If it does, no worries. Copy your files off and call the insurance Co.

If it doesn't boot, then things get more problematic.

Next thing to try is removing the hard drive and connecting it to a working PC using a USB -> SATA adaptor. If the drive is still working you will then be able to recover the files.

Worst case, the drive is busted as well as the screen, then your files are pretty much toast.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

AvT

Yeah... if it sounds like it is booting up maybe it is just your screen is toast and you will be able to get at your files if you use an external monitor.  I hope it is just the screen. I used an external screen on an old laptop I had for years.  I think to replace a screen now costs more than a new laptop.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Faron

We had the same problem a few weeks ago.The impact shattered some layer in the screen.  Chris found a place that recycles computers and had a new screen installed. Cost about $85. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

customsawyer

Bring it over I will see if I can chain saw it in half and then we might be able to see the problem. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

red oaks lumber

jake
make sure the chain is sharp, you want a cutting action not tearing ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Yep, better be careful with that chain. One mistake and your stuck in and endless loop!  :D

The old programmer in me just couldn't resist...

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!